or Connect

Posts by koolhistorian

Welcome, first of all! Being on the portly side is not a challenge (to be P.C. I am also "gravitationally challenged"). Despite the popular belief in the US, well fed people are not a bunch of slob idiots! The magic word is FIT. A good tailor can shave 20 pounds of your silhouette, despite the fabric or what else. Yes, darker colors are better, pinstripe is going to add a good visual effect, but the most important thing is how things are fitting you. If you are in a...
Quote: Originally Posted by Douglas I always understood that cedar trees did some moisture absorbing that was critical. Have I understood incorrectly? Or will plastic do just fine for the 3 weeks I'm on the road? Yes, but they are not light ... How many pairs do you take for a 3 week rotation? If you are taking only 2 pairs, there will be alot of stress on them. On the other hand, the plastic ones are opened, so there will be ventilation!...
Plastic ones (on a spring) and you can put also some socks.
Yep, shoes are one of the first things looked up (even before the car). The quality of the shoes speaks more to ladies than to the average male. Battered, unkept, low quality shoes are a bad sign!
Sorry if you felt offended! I will go with a story that is probably very well known to you as a lawyer - it is about Cicero (who was the most formidable trial lawyer of Rome). Cicero's success was based, largely, by the use of what was called then the "School of Rhodes" vs. the dominant "Asianic" school - i.e. the very thrifty use of gesture, clear but potent language, logic over rhetoric. When your juror said to you that you look to "slick tongued lawyer" (and that can be...
Bought a Barba tie from them, had all the tags and every thing they feel professional, and they have a high street address in Germany, so it will not be easy to sell knock - offs. Take it as it is - not an endorsement, but an info, a kiton suit is more money!
Bad luck, it happens! Clothing is, was, and will be a sign of social status, whatever the society in which you live. You stumbled upon a person who, probably, had already a preconception about lawyers, that had bad experiences with lawyers (personally or in his family) so he fitted you in the mental category of "slick lawyers". One of the problems that I see more with the american society (from outside, over the pond) is that is more or less a society where "uniforms" are...
Quote: Originally Posted by Sir Arthur Denton Thank you for this, I think this is sound advice for the tie, and thank you to the user abover - I may well go with a blue shirt. What would anyone think of a burgundy shirt and grey tie? And am I right in assuming a striped tie is a no-go? I would love to wear a check tie with it but I feel I would have to match the plaid exactly or risk a clash. Burgundy shirt???? That will be Neapolitan...
Depends on the fabric weight - if it is a more full, flannel like goes in more chilly weather, if it is a light one spring-summer. Essentially the PoW is a sporting - travel fabric - '30 casual dress - that had been brought into the lime light by the then Prince of Wales, later Edward the VIII, later Duke of Windsor. Definitively not a CBD, but can be very versatile as a morning- afternoon suit if you are not in law and banking. Final line - if you like it wear it. You can...
Good work, and yes old east european artisans are still having their pride in the trade. He even had done some re-lasting on the uppers!