or Connect

Posts by koolhistorian

You are in the process of becoming an officer and gentleman! Are you going to dance in dinner jacket, or tails and white tie, which is the norm for a Vienna Opera Ball - see the director of the Vienna opera, he is in full ceremonial white tie, with his decorations and orders in full, not in miniature. For the dinners and parties before, go for the dinner jacket, if you do not want to wear your Navy ceremonial dress (which will be appropriate), you can wear a red cummerbund...
Crema Nubiana 1888 (rebranded Crema Alpina for Bata) you can find it in every Bata shop, it is liquid and extraordinary!
They look pretty decent, seeing on an other forum a total disaster made by very respectable bespoke houses, at an astronomical price! Did the maker offered a final fitting, or it is just measurement and delivery? You seem to have a slight disbalance between left and right side of your body (which is pretty normal) so the person who got your measurements should had made that visible on your "diagnose", but all in all they are pretty decent. For the padding, that might been...
Nope, but Howard has some good stuff! (just received yesterday another order). Its british stuff, not italian - so no fancy combinations - cashmere - silk etc. But he is reliable, and he has good prices! Recommend him highly.
Ladies will notice, that is for sure. Pinstripes are more visible as "fitting" than plains, so fit will be more noticed on a pinstripe than on plains. It is about optical illusion, it elongates the figure, it creates a vertical dimension that plain fabrics don't have.
Undershirts will be visible under thin shirts! A good quality shirt will not show what is under (you can see even pilosity under thin shirts). So buy shirts that will not be so thin that will show what is under (put your hand in between the fabric, if you can see it, it is too thin).
Quote: Originally Posted by elchimba Koolhistorian: No fancy dinners yet, for my rank. So I can skip the whole morning coat/black tie/white tie range. Those wil lcome when I am transferred above, in 2011. Did not said morning coat/black tie/white tie range, just a plain, boring, black suit.A A diver's watch is too sporty for the looks of a diplomat, so go for a vintage slim swiss made one. It looks like a family heirloom, they are classy,...
Are you going to be posted abroad, or are you starting in the Peruvian MFA? Generally speaking: shirts, drop the lavender and the playful. Buy whites and blues. Period. French cuffs. Buy silk knots, they cost near nothing, they are very versatile and elegant, invest in a pair of gold cufflinks, plain design (square or oval), monogrammed. Shoes - black captoe oxfords. You do not need the oxblood. Be aware of the quality, buy the best you can afford. Suits - the grey one...
I have a pair of Alfred Sargents (you can source them with some patience on the e-bay at better prices) which are the best fitting shoes in my wardrobe, and breaking them was not painful. Very good leather - looks non-corrected grain, they look dull before the first waxing - polishing, but then they reveal a glorious, warm brown - comfortable, well constructed. With the Church's everyone on the net says that after the Prada merger they lost quality, and the "bookbinder"...
Quote: Originally Posted by Pylon It is indeed a terminal Master's program in International Relations. The other programs mentioned, for example the Woodrow Wilson School at Princeton, are more focused on International Affairs with a heavy emphasis on public policy and economics. I'm a communicator, creative, academic-type and work well with people, relationships, messages... I'm not a numbers kinda guy. I'm also considering the Syracuse University...