or Connect

Posts by koolhistorian

1. Trial jacket is a jacket made from cotton fabric that is made to test the pattern, not for wearing - just not to start cutting the real fabric. 2. Good english fabric makers (or sellers) - Holland and Sherry, Dormeuil, H. Lesser, Harrissons, JJ Minnis - see the Unfunded Liabilities thread or the discussions on the Cutter and Tailor forum (separate from this). My advice is to go with a staple suit - Navy or Grey - keep it relatively simple and classic a 2 buttons, notch...
Frankly, 1000 dolars for Cut Make Trim (sorry for using the acronyms) is pretty steep for a country like Brasil, he looks like being a local star! Probably you can find at a lesser price, if not go for it. Take care about some Zegna fabrics (those with a lot of cashmere inside) because they are prone of piling - mostly inside legs. I would suggest a British fabric - better made. Take care and have a good interpreter (even if you can do a lot with gestures with a tailor)....
My 2 euro cents - ask him how much it will be a CMT for a blazer (SC), frankly because there you see the tailor's skill. If the price is ok, buy over e-bay a decent POW SC length (just to see how the pattern alignment is done, details, etc) for something like 50 pounds or less and give it a try. The other technique is to enquire old customers - the brazilian gents I've met were always good dressers (ok, mainly diplomats) so there is a chance that they were using very good...
You add moisture with each wear , sorry to say. On the other hand, if it is about a pair of shoes that was worn by an unknown person, I just prefer to be on the safe side - if totally obsessed you can add a silica pouch to absorb moisture. And use for a time a anti fungal talcum powder ....
Travelling 3- 4 days on a carry -on becomes a little bit difficult these days (here in Europe) they are limiting both size and weight, so it must be planned ahead. 1. Make (buy) your suits with two pairs of pants - see Prince William on his Canada trip - wore the same navy suit for 3 days at least. Let one pant to rest wear the other; 2. Keep your work-out outfit at a minimum; 3. Travel with your suit on you - you will get more smiles at the check-in counter , and...
Try to PM member yalabis on the London Lounge, he is from Athens, and he has a good tailor. Or see on the Sciamat (if you like the style) website where they have their Greek sale point. P.S. Don't get upset by the comments of others, they simply do not understand...
Nightcap yes, more squadron leader! And a good briar.
1.Wipe the inside with a damp cloth witha a dash of saddle soap, let it dry: 2. wipe the saddle soap with a damp cloth; 3. Spray with solution of boric acid, sold here as anti fungal anti microbian spray: 4. Let that for 24 hrs to air dry. 5. Insert shoe trees and proceed with upper cleaning and restoration of color, if necessary.
Let it air dry, water is not the enemy of wool! Just put the coat on a hanger and the trouser on a clip hanger (so they dry heads-down, gravity will do a lot of the work). The biggest problem will be the "internals" of the suit - if it is fused, it can be a problem, a floating canvass will keep it better. The best it will be to bring it to a tailor to press it - or get a sponge and press. Any trained tailor can do that - i saw a full tails jacket being pressed by my tailor...
Frankly, you will work as much as "un-polish" your shoes that you will to polish them! Any good brand will be comfortable if you get them fit (which is not always a straight forward process). See the 1829 and Jermyn street lines form Trickers - my most comfortable ones, having a larger foot - and if you want to have a "unique" shoe get them a patina! Also quite forward are Stefano Bi (the guys that used to produce Berlutti) and they have some nice patinas out of the...