or Connect

Posts by koolhistorian

Quote: Originally Posted by Saltricks I think I noticed they were creased before I tried them on, but I can live with it. I was very careful where I was walking, and the stains seem unusual (black polish like stains) in appearance. It was around 110 degrees...maybe this had some effect? The shoelaces felt especially oily. Asphalt? The rest is normal creasing, just buy some conditioner, cream and wax!
Can be done, not stellar, but it can fill the gap between a rather formal setting and the fact that you do not want to wear a suit - I am faced with that in the academia. Some time ago, one of my tailors (MTM) thrown in a vest in order to make amends for delaying one of my orders - it was a charcoal flannel matching a pair of trousers that I've ordered. It was a good combination with grey herringbone or donnegal tweed jackets - taking out the rusticity from the jacket, but...
Quote: Originally Posted by Peak and Pine Yes, but that presumes I, or you, or anyone here knows zip about ironing. I don't know all the stuff a real mechanic knows, but I can change the oil as well as he. Ditto with the suit pressing thing. No disrespect to your late grandfather. (BTW, is he dead or just tardy?) Dead, unfortunately. But reshaping a suit (I assume that is the result of drenched) is more like changing the cam belt rather than...
Do not clean the suit first - the problem is given by the fact that the canvas was drenched, not the fabric. A well made chest piece on a suit is the result of various manipulations, including shrinkage, so that only a good tailor will know what to do. If you feel that there was also some dirt from the rain, go for a sponge and press. FYI only a tailor will press correctly a suit (lesson from my late grandfather and his (also my first) late tailor).
Have anyone one tried John Molloy's Donnegal - it says it's handmade in Aran?
Quote: Originally Posted by Fishball Neutral polish should work with no harm, neutral shoe cream do it better , and shoe conditionor will also do the work. Well, if you really want to remove (nice looking patina) neutral cream or polish, and if you go for the big one - turpentine.
Quote: Originally Posted by The Louche There hasn't been a ton of conversation here about this, surprisingly. I had a good suit completely drenched in the rain yesterday. The coat is still damp and kind of puckered up this morning. I am planning on having the suit cleaned by my (very good) cleaner, but I'm still concerned about things like blown-out seams. I've had suits drenched before, but it has been years ago. Back then I didn't care or know as...
Quote: Originally Posted by Darron B Have a bit of a dilema, I am 44 and shall we say a little overweight. i am trying to sort my wordrobe out and could do with a little help as to what looks good and what to avoid. I dont like printed t-shirts, sloppy jeans etc as i dont want to look like one of those guys who dresses to young for his age and end up just looking sad. always looked good when i was younger but seen to have lost my way a bit, being...
[quote=rabiesinfrance;3312410] Quote: Originally Posted by Pengranger X-posted Tricker's Piccadilly The "Piccadilly" is on the 4537 last, The 1829 Collection: This range of classic favourites with contemporary styling, using fine leathers on a modern last follows Tricker's tradition of quality bench-made shoes. (Tricker's website) Looks traditional to me! Is the 'modern last' elongated or chiseled or something? It is similiar to the...
Quote: Originally Posted by Frihed89 I am leaning toward a Brogue from C&J or Trickers. I prefer the lighter colors of Trickers, but wonder how they will look when rained upon in Copenhagen? I am prepared to be flexible. I will check out those two shops and John Rushton if I have time on foot. Mine were quite good after being rained in Brussels! I second Trickers as the best quality/price ratio in english shoes!