or Connect

Posts by koolhistorian

2.5 m, 3 on the safe side!
Quote: Originally Posted by texas_jack I skimmed this thread but I'm just too lazy to keep going. How much fabric does one need for a single breasted jacket in about 46L? A 46L suit? To be sure 4m for the suit, 2 m for the SB jacket, 2.2 if it has plaid (for the pattern matching). There are some tailor that can do that with less, but that is the safe side.
I tend to do it once a year - normally before storage (late spring for fall/winter, autumn for summer wear, except for the linen pants that are washed at home, air dried and pressed by yours truly). When needed, I do the necessary touch up, or they go to the tailor for a sponge and press. But it depends on usage and accidents.
Depends on how much time do you have - there are some good tailors in Bucharest - Negrila is on the top tier, there are some more, also - but it will take around two to three weeks for a full bespoke suit. As for stores, do not expect to find something blowing your mind, mostly the European chains (Zara & Co.) with some going more pricey than in Western Europe. If you want to go on the tailored way, I strongly suggest that you bring your fabric with you, here the choice is...
Quote: Originally Posted by francisl They make some really nice shoes, but I'm not sure if I'd want to wear them casually as well. Choices, choices. Not all ebay sellers are in second hand shoes - the term seconds is about small aesthetic flaws that will stop the maker to sell it at the full price. There are some good ebay stores - Elite Forum, Trickers factory shop, the forum member Salsalocust - that sell good ones.
Quote: Originally Posted by gaseousclay is this considered a sartorial no-no when going out? i've made dinner reservations for my wife and I and I was going to wear my suit. however, because it's so hot out I didn't plan on wearing the suit jacket and only the pants, dress shoes, dress shirt and tie. yay or nay? Are you working for MacDonald's? Either you wear and sweat - the classy option, or go for a nice pair of linen slacks, linen shirt...
Quote: Originally Posted by Chips It just sucks to throw out an otherwise perfectly good product. I'm not cheap, but I'm also not wasteful. I use it in small crumbs for a year, no problems with!
Quote: Originally Posted by Saltricks I think I noticed they were creased before I tried them on, but I can live with it. I was very careful where I was walking, and the stains seem unusual (black polish like stains) in appearance. It was around 110 degrees...maybe this had some effect? The shoelaces felt especially oily. Asphalt? The rest is normal creasing, just buy some conditioner, cream and wax!
Can be done, not stellar, but it can fill the gap between a rather formal setting and the fact that you do not want to wear a suit - I am faced with that in the academia. Some time ago, one of my tailors (MTM) thrown in a vest in order to make amends for delaying one of my orders - it was a charcoal flannel matching a pair of trousers that I've ordered. It was a good combination with grey herringbone or donnegal tweed jackets - taking out the rusticity from the jacket, but...
Quote: Originally Posted by Peak and Pine Yes, but that presumes I, or you, or anyone here knows zip about ironing. I don't know all the stuff a real mechanic knows, but I can change the oil as well as he. Ditto with the suit pressing thing. No disrespect to your late grandfather. (BTW, is he dead or just tardy?) Dead, unfortunately. But reshaping a suit (I assume that is the result of drenched) is more like changing the cam belt rather than...