or Connect

Posts by 12345Michael54321

I'm not looking to turn this into a big debate, but what exactly does "ethically" mean, in this context? That the suit was made in a country with a good record of upholding basic human rights? That the people who made the suit were paid in accordance with some (which?) standard? That the sheep from whom the wool for the suit is derived were sheared in some sheep-friendly manner? That the facility where the suit was manufactured uses only environmentally-friendly renewable...
Heat and motion. Pushing an excessively hot iron repeatedly across the fabric, tends to sort of mold and compress the weave, resulting in sheen.Pants can typically be successfully ironed. Don't use too hot an iron, and don't push the iron repeatedly across the pants. Maybe use a press cloth, if you want to be even more cautious.
Have a vodka martini, engage in excessive violence and property damage, rely on neat gadgets to deal with the overly complex plans of incompetent villains, show thinly veiled disrespect for his superiors, then swap STDs with women named Pussy and Plenty? All while wearing a dive watch with a tuxedo?But I admit I haven't seen the last few James Bond films, so perhaps the character's been updated.Then again, this is a high school dance we're talking about...
You'll be in a grey suit, and your date will be in a black dress. That's fine. Highly compatible. Which is, frankly, almost always better than an exact match You could wear it with a nice black tie, and you'd look fine. (Not all black ties are "nice." Many black ties are awful. But so are many non-black ties.) If the bejeweled detailing on your date's dress were, say, mostly red, you could wear a red tie. If it were mostly blue, you could choose a blue tie. Etc. You...
Just to make sure there's no confusion, goldensc - Although the title you chose for this thread is "RL Purple Label Suits," and in your initial post to this thread you refer to suits, you do realize, I trust, that the eBay auction in question is not for a suit. It is for a jacket/sport coat. I did, just now, search eBay for "ralph lauren purple label (sport coat,sports coat,jacket)," in Completed/Sold listings, in the category Mens Clothing:Blazers & Sport Coats, and...
Corduroy also has its place.
This was a fairly popular meme of the time (long before "meme" entered the lexicon). That the best - or at least most economically advantageous - thing that could happen to a country was to lose a war to the United States.The idea is nicely illustrated (if in a tongue-in-cheek fashion) in Leonard Wibberley's 1955 novel, "The Mouse That Roared" (which led to several sequels, and various radio, television, stage, and film adaptations, the most well known of which being the...
Of course, just because there's a formal end to government rationing, doesn't mean that industries instantly recover, shortages immediately end, and wealth is completely restored.The UK was virtually bankrupt by the end of World War II, and immediately after the war, UK exports - which brought in the money needed to import food, among other necessities - were only a fraction of what they'd been in the late 1930's. Consequently, rationing continued well into the...
Were the lapels a little different, I could probably get away with wearing that suit today. Admittedly, I prefer the fuller, more traditional fit illustrated.Yeah, the suit jacket length is - by modern day standards - a trifle long for the man pictured. But by the standards of his era, it was perfectly acceptable.It's worth noting that material shortages, manpower shortages, War Board restrictions on various details of men's clothing, price controls on clothing (lifted on...
They have their advantages, and their disadvantages. Thus, depending upon one's specific needs/desires, they can be either an excellent choice, or a questionable choice.I find them to be far less awful than some seem to maintain they are. I don't find that they reek of chemical smells, or are painfully scratchy, or that they fail to "breathe" for me. But that having been said, if I have the choice of a non-iron shirt, and an otherwise similar shirt which is not non-iron,...