or Connect

Posts by 12345Michael54321

Yup, on both suits, both jackets and pants are too tight. The blue suit is dark enough to be suitable for formal (not black tie formal, but "formal" in the more conventionally accepted meaning of the word) events, or a funeral. Functional buttons doesn't mean you can't shorten the sleeves - just that it may take more work, and more skill, and more expense, to get an acceptable result. Typically, the sleeve would need to be shortened at the shoulder, in such a...
I typically wear chinos for casual wear. In the cold weather months, I sometimes wear corduroys. Depending on how you define "casual," I've got a pair of navy windowpane trousers which I sometimes wear casually. Oh, also a pair of moleskin pants, from Orvis.
Me neither. Not that I'd call it terrible. It's more "acceptable, but not ideal." It could be much worse.Definitely.I agree that suit and shirt cry out to be worn with a tie. Absolutely not sans tie and open collar. Some suits lend themselves to that sort of casual look. This suit isn't among them.A pocket square is, as is nearly always the case, very much optional.If I only owned a frayed pocket square, I'd either obtain a non-frayed one, or do without.Yeah, it could be...
It'd really help if you'd mention where you're located, since price and availability can vary quite a bit depending on location.Also, since you state that the last on the Loake 1880 isn't perfect, could you specify just how it's imperfect, and precisely what it is you're hoping to find?Without the above details, about all I could do is tell you to buy a pair of Allen Edmonds Park Avenues. This might turn out to be great advice, or it might turn out to be horrible advice,...
Tie width and lapel width should typically be in general agreement. That means, for example, that a narrow lapel with a wide tie will tend to look wrong.It does NOT mean that any great precision is required. There is absolutely no need to measure things and match them up. A general agreement is all that is needed.It's also true that as a general thing, a wide tie will tend to look better on a man with a broad torso, than on a stick figure. And vice verse - a narrow tie...
In a post of mine from a few years ago, on another website, I offered the following links to a number of previous conversational threads on that site which had to do with choosing an iron. Clothes iron technology likely hasn't advanced with such speed as to render the information worthless, just...
Lands' End carries a variety of cords, and many of them are currently on sale (a seasonal thing). You could do worse than to order a few different cords from them, keep whichever ones you like, and return the rest to your local Sears. I don't own any Brooks cords. I do own a pair of JAB cords, but not the pair you mention. The one I do have is... okay. No better than that, but neither is it truly bad. A longer rise would've improved it. As for color choice, the colors...
Underwear is a pretty personal choice. What one guy likes, the next may hate.Fortunately, a pair of briefs isn't all that expensive. Go buy a few pairs that seem likely to meet your needs, and chances are you'll wind up liking one pair most of all, and then you can simply buy more of that one.If you were to explain exactly which Fruit of the Looms briefs you're currently wearing, and precisely how they fall short of your expectations, it might be possible to make a helpful...
I've been to a non-trivial number of funerals over the years, but can't recall ever seeing anyone not in military or law enforcement uniform wearing a black armband at a funeral. Of course, customs do differ widely, so I'm not suggesting you're wrong to wear a black armband, LA Guy. And I realize that mourning armbands were in fairly common use thru the mid-20th century. As for this thread belonging in the menswear advice section... a large percentage of the threads on SF...
"No mourning wear" is a rather nebulous request. I'd wear a dark suit, white shirt, and conservative necktie. If challenged on my choice of clothing (ridiculously poor manners, that), I'd explain that I'm wearing "businesswear," or "churchwear," or somesuch. If the family of the deceased have some specific dress code in mind - everybody wear a purple bow tie, everyone wear tennis clothes, everyone wear jeans and t-shirts, etc. - let them come right out and inform people...