or Connect

Posts by 12345Michael54321

It's a thing. It's just not a good thing.But at least it's better than saggin'. That's a thing, too. A thing to be avoided.
No need to post the picture. It didn't work.
This has nothing to do with standards. It has to do with terminology. A party where male guests are expected to wear tuxedos will specify "Black Tie," and not "cocktail attire." Parties of both such types may be found in Chicago, I assure you.Your confusion with regard to current usage, should not be taken as an example of a lowering of standards in Chicago. (There are many other indications of a lowering of standards both in Chicago specifically, and in the western...
That's not the commonly accepted meaning of the term, at least in the United States, circa 2013. (Since Chicago was specified, going by American usage is appropriate. But perhaps the meaning is different in the UK, where you appear to be.) "Black Tie" would be the dress code indicating tuxedo.Here, cocktail attire means men should wear suits, and women should wear cocktail dresses, with minor variations on these norms generally acceptable.Hetzen, I'd suggest you wear the...
Usually, I wear a suit. If it's a matinee performance, maybe a sport coat. If it's a performance which is specifically intended to be markedly casual - you know, like something performed in the park, while the audience enjoys their picnic lunches - I might go in chinos and an OCBD.Different horses for different courses, as the saying goes.But typically, if it's a professional performance, in a theater, in the evening, I'll wear a suit.The traditional rule was that...
I recall you asking much the same question a few weeks ago, to which I replied that the vast majority of brands do not include working cuffs on their jackets. But perhaps I should have elaborated somewhat.The overwhelming majority of suit jackets and sport coats do not feature working cuffs. Indeed, one could quite possibly go to a typical menswear store, or the suit department of a good department store, and find that jackets and suit jackets with working cuffs are...
I fear you're taking a general rule-of-thumb, and attributing to it a precision which is simply inappropriate.It's just an approximate guideline. An extra half inch in height due to shoes, or the difference between side view and front view, just aren't likely to be so significant as to require that the inherently imprecise guideline be adjusted.It's like accepting the general rule that belt color and shoe color should be reasonably similar, and then asking how to transport...
I see it as more of an overreaction.Once upon a time, white was *the* dress shirt color. That was the rule.Eventually, people came to realize that in some situations white was not the best choice. That pale blue sometimes had very real advantages.But rather than using this new understanding properly, and accepting that while the white shirt still has its place, sometimes some other color choice could be preferable, the new rule became "white is a terrible shirt color and...
panyen, it's been said that a businessman matches his socks to his pants, while a gentleman matches his socks to his mood.Today's Halloween, and I'm in a mood to recognize this fact. I'm wearing burnt orange socks with my medium grey suit.
In general (exceptions exist), you'll do better going to a menswear store for a suit, than you will going to a department store like Kohl's, Marshall's, etc. Particularly if you're an inexperienced suit shopper.For all that Jos. A. Bank comes in for some serious dislike on SF, I'd probably recommend it above Kohl's or Marshall's, most days. And probably 75% of the population of the US is within an hour's travel time of a JAB store.Could you give us some idea where you're...