or Connect

Posts by 12345Michael54321

Don't be so sure. There are plenty of tuxedos available on eBay, representing every decade from pre-WWII to post-millenium, often selling for ridiculously affordable prices.It's extremely possible that a Brooks Brothers tuxedo obtained in that manner will be superior in nearly every way to some rental outfit. And if you wear the tuxedo even once every couple of years, in the long run it'll wind up costing you less than renting, too.And once you own a tuxedo, it's not...
Wow, you posted the mention of ties, while I was asking you about your tie choices in my previous response.Anyway, a red tie can be perfectly fine. Some people don't care for it, claiming that it's too... powerful or assertive or whatever. Well, they're entitled to their opinion, but it's not one I necessarily share.Generally, a darker red - maroon definitely beats fire engine red or cherry red, here. And shall I assume you're talking about a solid tie, and not something...
A lot of my classic white dress shirts are from Brooks Bros. So that's one option.BTW, don't get hung up on the whole "smart care" thing. It's just another name for wrinkle-free or non-iron. You can just pull it out of the dryer, and it looks perfect. But the truth of the matter is, even a wrinkle-free dress shirt will usually look better if you run an iron over it.Not black. Solid navy or darkish grey would be the roughly equally correct choices. Pretty conservatively...
It sounds plausible to me. Historically, wasn't much clothing "bespoke," in that there were no department stores with racks and racks of items in semi-standardized sizes? I understand that items were often run up by a female family member, or tailor, or servant (for the wealthy) on a one off basis. So obtaining an individualized fit (not necessarily a good fit, of course, since not everyone's skills or attention to detail in this area were particularly impressive) was the...
Buy more ties. Eventually, you'll find some which strike you as going well with your gray or navy suits. You know, given that it's the hot and humid south, you could even change it up and choose a bow tie, once in a while. Not too often, since you don't want the people at your office to start thinking of you as "that bow tie guy." But now and then.Or how about a white cotton pocket square, with a green border? And that'd only set you back around $8, from The Tie Bar, so...
It could look okay. Or not. While lapel width is one factor in determining which tie width to wear, it's certainly not the only factor.
Well, it's no less important in the great scheme of things than are countless sports contests, political debates, and theological dilemmas. And I may well find myself shopping for a new tuxedo one of these days, whereas it's highly unlikely I'll ever be owner of the New England Patriots, Speaker of the US House of Representatives, or God.
As evidence of the fact that I have too much time on my hands, I've sometimes wondered whether the old belief that midnight blue typically appears blacker than actual black, might no longer be true.Certainly, artificial lighting has changed markedly over the decades. The spectrum of today's artificial lighting, the intensity, the color temperature, etc., are all probably different from what might have been encountered in, say, 1950. Maybe back then, with the artificial...
Your shoes are fine. What, you think that if a pair of shoes is delivered via UPS, USPS, FedEx, etc., that they might not wind up spending considerable time in a non-climate controlled depot or other facility, or in the back of a truck, or on your front porch, in freezing weather? For that matter, I've been known to wear shoes while outside in freezing cold weather.They're shoes, not baby chicks. (Yeah, I dig that episode of "I Love Lucy.") They're not as delicate as you...
Look, there's a lot of inherent subjectivity in judging the fit of a shirt. Someone who likes the fit of your shirt might tell you he'd give it a 9. The next guy could prefer a closer, more tapered shirt fit, and tell you your shirt's fit only merits a 3. Which is one reason why dressing by popular opinion - and the popular opinion of a group of online clothing forum members, no less - is a mistake you should try to avoid.The real question is, how would you rate the shirt...