or Connect

Posts by 12345Michael54321

Okay. You go first.1. Which frame shape do you think best complements your face shape?2. Why?BTW, I notice you posted your question twice. Once here, and once in the "Ask A Question, Get An Answer" thread.
Okay. You go first.1. Which frame shape do you think best complements your face shape?2. Why?
No such thing, of course. Any more than there's a perfect lunch or a perfect piece of music. It simply depends. On the individual, the circumstance, and so forth. But that having been said...Have you given any consideration to American Optical? If they were good enough for Neil Armstrong and Buzz Aldrin (and a whole bunch of other astronauts), they're probably good enough for you. A pair will run you just under $50, which is ridiculously reasonable for what you're...
Running some fine grit sandpaper over the trees will restore the scent, without altering the trees' size/shape in any meaningful way. So if you want to do this, go ahead; it will do no harm.Of course, I can't honestly say that I go around sniffing my shoe trees, so the fact that the trees' cedar scent fades isn't much of an issue for me.As for the cedar scent of your shoe trees keeping away moths (not that moths are much of a problem with regard to shoes, but shoes are...
Generally, yes. Or, more to the point, wooden shoe trees are the way to go, and as a practical matter (and for basically defensible reasons) cedar is the wood nearly always used.I'm unfamiliar with the "sofsole" brand of shoe trees. And, of course, if all I know of the other pair of trees is that it's "no-name," it's impossible for me to have any specific opinion of them.So I'd ask you to determine whether they're okay for your shoes. You have the trees to examine, after...
I like penny loafers.But the real question is what styles of shoes you like with casual clothing. Just because some fellow on SF likes penny loafers, or sneakers, or Top-Siders, or something else, doesn't mean you have to like them.
I suspect their quality may be somewhat higher than what you'd see in $15 pair of sneakers at Walmart. But mostly, yeah, you're paying for the Gucci name.It's sort of how a $125 Gucci key holder is a perfectly fine key holder, but if the name on it were "Acme," it'd sell for under 20 bucks. (I mention this, as somebody gave me a Gucci key holder for Chanukwanzmas, a few months ago.)But like coldinboston says, if you can afford them without any great financial strain, and...
I've seen a lot of science fiction movies from the 1960s, so I know that in the far future (like, in the 21st century) just about everybody who frequents the "in" places - underground science bases, Utopian cities whose mile-high spires look out over the desolate wasteland, bicycle wheel space stations, etc. - will wear silver lame jump suits.Which is as it should be, of course. Nothing more clearly says mankind has advanced beyond its foolish youth, to an age where the...
Very, very true.I've seen posts from people worried about damage to their shoes if they have to walk 100 feet in a light rain. If they have to wear the same pair two days in a row while out-of-town on business. If a shoe - gasp! - gets lightly scuffed. Concerned about the sole developing signs of wear if the shoe is worn while walking on a concrete sidewalk. About whether they should fasten shoelaces very loosely, so as to avoid "damaging" the shoe.They're shoes. They're...
Preferably, removable collar stays.I've seen shirts with sewn-in cardboard stays, which - particularly when over-aggressively ironed - do worse things to a shirt than no collar stays at all.Although assuming the shirt pictured in pnin22's post doesn't take removable stays, it occurs to me that a little starch might do good things for the looks of that collar. Granted, starch is employed far less commonly in laundering shirts than was the case in my father's day, but it's...