or Connect

Posts by 12345Michael54321

Most suits - not all, but most - have a 6-inch drop between jacket size and waist size. Your last suit had a 7-inch drop. Some suits do. Particularly - but not exclusively - suits in a more athletic cut. (As something of an aside, I'm not certain someone who wears a 40L, with a 36" waist, should necessarily be looking for suits with decidedly athletic cuts. But that's neither here, nor there.) Anyway, buy a 40L suit, with the extremely common 6" drop. That'll leave you...
I should have mentioned that as another reason I like Lands' End polos. I generally dislike wearing clothing logos.(As an aside, I'll also typically have the dealer omit/remove most of the branding on the back of my new car. I mean, a single manufacturer's symbol doesn't really bother me, but the name of the manufacturer, the model of the car, the sub-model, the dealer's name, etc., just strikes me as distasteful. But hey, I get that some folks want branding. All the...
Yup. Been wearing one version or another of Lands' End polo for decades now.
Perhaps you're mismeasuring your chest. Perhaps you just happen to try on brands which label according to some... unique... conception of size. Perhaps your body shape and/or shoulder-to-chest ratio is weird. Perhaps your standard of "too big" is not in line with what most people would regard as too big. Perhaps something else entirely.In any case, does it really matter? Just as a rose by any other name would smell as sweet, so will a properly-fitting jacket fit you...
Charles Tyrwhitt (www.ctshirts.com) has gingham shirts, with spread collars, in your price range. A couple are available in sky blue. So not quite navy, but if sky is close enough for you... Nor would I be surprised if Lands End had what you want. Maybe Brooks Brothers, too, although at Brooks you might need to wait for a sale to get it for under $70.
Take it back to the local dry cleaners and have them redo the pressing. Correctly, this time. If that's not an option, have them refund your money and take the suit to a competent dry cleaner, and have him press it properly, pointing out to him the problem with the lapel you want addressed. You haven't indicated where you are. On the slight chance that it's in or near Baltimore, MD, USA, I'd be happy to recommend a place or two.
I recommend whatever is the best fit on you.But if that's not a good enough answer for you, I suppose JAB's Signature Gold line of suits can be a worth buying when on sale at 70% off - so long as the over-padded shoulders don't look especially awful on you.While I haven't purchased any lately, I've got a couple of Hart, Schaffner & Marx "Gold Trumpeter" suits in my closet. They're nice, affordable suits. And a 1990's vintage Hickey Freeman suit in a Prince of Wales...
I wouldn't say you're being anal about this.You are, however, being anile.(Yet another language battle which I know my side cannot win, yet I fight it anyway, if only because I reject Freudianism.)
Okay. But do bear in mind that over the past couple of decades, it's become increasingly common for retailers to adopt a practice whereby their sale price is, in effect, the regular price.For example, a $300 suit will no longer have a regular price of $300. Instead, its regular price will now be bumped up to $1000. But it will frequently be "sale priced" at $300, during "All Suits 70% OFF!!!" sales. (Jos. A. Bank is notorious for this, but it's by no means limited to just...