or Connect

Posts by 12345Michael54321

Maybe. It depends. And personal opinion varies to a fair degree on this one, too - particularly (but not solely) based on where one is located. What flies in Ankara or Surabaya, isn't necessarily what gets much love in Brussels or Boston.But honestly, if I'm not going to be wearing a tie or a jacket, I'll typically just wear a button-down collar shirt. I mean, it's the obvious choice. Maybe a Winchester or club collar could be made to work, but I'm lazy and simply don't...
Absent truly exceptional circumstances, I'd be unlikely to recommend one buy a jacket which is the wrong size, in the hope that it might be altered down to the right size.Since 46L is not all that uncommon a jacket size, why not just buy a 46L? Because the store in question doesn't have a 46L in stock? Because there's a 48L available online for a great price? Because 48 is your lucky number? None of these are terribly convincing reasons.Even if the 48L could be altered...
What color shoes to wear will tend to depend much more on what color pants you're wearing, than on the color of your sweater. Since you're wearing grey/charcoal pants, your black Park Avenues are a good color choice. Whether they work in terms of formality is very much another question, and one which YRR92 touched upon. Neither tan, nor bourbon, are shoe color choices I'd suggest in this case. This having been said, I'm sure there are people on SF who will maintain...
If it walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, the law's likely to treat it as a duck.It's sort of how if you sell brass paperweights which are dimensionally identical to brass knuckles, they're going to be treated as brass knuckles, not as harmless paperweights. (Yes, it's been tried.) And carrying around a "condiment dispensing device" which sprays 400,000 SHU "high intensity food seasoning," onto your food (at a distance of up to 7 feet) at the push of a button, will...
Don't. Just leave him be.You're not going to change his tastes or his perception of style or quality. And he's happy the way he is now. Even though you won't succeed in "educating" him, you just might manage to rob him of some happiness. And that's cruel.If ever he comes to you and asks for your opinion, fine, share your opinion with him. Otherwise, focus on his other admirable qualities, and ignore his cluelessness in this one area. He'll be happier and your friendship...
The quality of the photo is such that I cannot be sure, but it sort of looks like your belt has a big buckle.I don't maintain that belt buckles need be microscopic in size, but neither is a large buckle a great look with a suit.A better quality picture would really help with the feedback, iloveshirts.
Probably irrelevant, but it strikes me as a little odd that an interviewer would comment on your clothes.Maybe I'm old school, but I tend to believe that the objective of being appropriately dressed for an interview is to have the interviewer scarcely notice what I'm wearing. He'll remember me, sure, but not my suit.Just sayin', is all.I do know that when I've conducted interviews, I've never commented upon the candidates' clothing. Sort of how I'd never comment on their...
Since it's not particularly difficult to pick up a Ronson Roto Shine for around $20, via eBay, I'm not sure it would make much sense to get it serviced. If it brakes, and you can't fix it easily yourself, just get another one. Likely cheaper and easier than sending it somewhere for service.
If you like cuffs, get cuffs. If you don't like cuffs, don't get cuffs. I was raised to believe that suit pants are always cuffed (especially if the pants are pleated, but even if they're not), but that's more a reflection of my background, than it is any inviolate law of fashion. Moreover, I'm in the United States; there are other western, developed countries, where conservative men's attire is pretty similar to what it is here - but pants are typically not cuffed. And...
You decided you wanted a very versatile suit. A basic, charcoal suit. Something that would look right whenever conservative dress was appropriate - an interview, a wedding, a funeral, etc.A slightly brown, patterned suit, with a sheen, is not a highly versatile suit.I'm not saying it can't be a nice suit. If someone already owns a solid grey suit and a solid navy suit, and is now looking for something a little different, the sort of suit you describe could be a defensible...