or Connect

Posts by Sherman90

Quote: Originally Posted by munchausen this. I question whether op should be a lawyer at all. So real lawyers are priests, not philosophers? Anyways, these are just divergent viewpoints. I like to think about my job, not just perform it. Perhaps that's because I appreciate just how powerful my role is in shaping the lives and destinies of others. I will be called to the Bar in June, by the way.
Quote: Originally Posted by Grenadier This threak: Fair enough. I will resign unsatisfied.
Quote: Originally Posted by harvey_birdman Long boring story follows - This actually made me think of a case I had several years ago. It was an underage drinking charge for a kid at the local college. He was 20 and a half years old, went to a fraternity party, had two beers and then the place was raided. The police officers gave everybody a PBT (Portable Breath Test) as they walked out the door and charged everybody underage who came up positive. In...
Quote: Originally Posted by munchausen Why would you think you have the dna to be a defense attorney when you clearly disdain the work? Because I haven't lived it, so I'm in no real position to judge. And because I'd be very good. Also, I never said I had the DNA.
Quote: Originally Posted by odoreater This all sounds very nice, and it's what we tell people as criminal defense attorneys all the time to make them feel nice and tingly inside, but it's not quite true. If I read a file, and conduct an investigation, and determine that my client's constitutional rights and due process rights were not violated, and he's guilty of the crime that was charged, I will still try to exploit any weakness I see in the State's...
Quote: Originally Posted by Lord-Barrington This thread seems to be confusing "I'm defending a guilty client" with "I'm trying to get a child molester back on the street on a technicality". The former I have no issue with, the latter I do. Interesting. I think I fall into this camp, as well. The line is drawn by the moral worth of the client, not whether or not he or she is strictly "guilty". I think we can all agree that the black letter...
Quote: Originally Posted by harvey_birdman Knowing my client committed a crime doesn't mean he committed the crime he's charged with. As an example, I get clients charged with PWID (Possession with intent to distribute) all the time. The vast majority are not trying to sell the stuff; they bought for personal use (a lesser crime). But the Commonwealth can't seize a person's vehicle and sell it at auction to support the Drug Task Force unless the person is...
Before I engage you guys in conversation, let me re-iterate that my intention is to canvass your views and opinions with an open mind. Defense work is a field I'm considering myself, so I am very far from presuming that it is ethically or morally unsound. Quote: Originally Posted by harvey_birdman The way you phrase your questions suggests the result you expect. [...] I'm not there to assist in someone's victimhood, there are social workers and...
I'd like to solicit the opinion of those practising criminal defense about whether their careers ever conflict with their conscience - or if, in fact, the opposite is true. I'm far, far beyond the "How can you defend people you know are guilty?" frame of mind, but I can't escape the notion that the actual practise of criminal defence requires lawyers to do sleazy things: like cross-examining (often very young or vulnerable) victims, attempting to exploit the...
Oops. Edit.