or Connect

Posts by lawyerdad

Thanks. That is interesting, and consistent (at least in my own mind) with my experience of (possibly inferior WA-grown) Honeycrisps.It feels to me like the cells are so loosely bound that once you break through the outer wall there's an unusual amount of give behind it, almost as though your teeth are in free fall for a fraction of a second. But again, I could be totally misremembering or misdescribing the sensation I recall.
Prove that relegation would improve the NBA.
http://smile.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B003X09YR4/ref=mp_s_a_1_2?qid=1418433806&sr=8-2&pi=AC_SY200_QL40 http://smile.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/0547053800/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?qid=1418433931&sr=8-1&pi=AC_SY200_QL40
So all those Ewing-era Knicks championships should have an asterisk?
Makes sense, thanks for the explanation. Even setting aside the issue of the extent to which it makes sense to analogize commercial films to other art forms, I somewhat (although not entirely) disagree. Even such a limited, binary feedback system gives some rough benchmark for the perceived " quality" of the viewing experience, if only in the sense of how many people had an overall favorable impression. But I take your point that it doesn't well reflect the difference...
Entirely possible, although I think I've tried several. To me, it's almost like the crispness comes from concentrating more of the mass into tiny bubbles or cells of flesh around pockets of air, if that makes any sense, so there's an immediate feeling of resistance to the bite followed by a sensation of emptiness. Other varieties seem to me to have a more uniform texture sensation. Maybe @foodguy would know if that's something other people experience or if I've completely...
Yeah, I get that; it's not "genetic modification", it's just traditional horticulture. I was just making a tongue-in-cheek reference to some prior conversations. But thanks -- you can never really go erring on the side of assuming my ignorance . . .
+1 on Oriental pears. I don't like Honey Crisp apples. First impression, they're good. Tasty, with a nice crunch. But something about the crunchiness feels too fragile, and in some way artificial. I'm fine eating applies that are GMO or nuked or whatever, so it's not some misguided objection to their mutt status. There's just a weird sensation that to me is a bit like eating one of those non-fact "ice creams" or something, where you get a sense of the "mouth feel"...
I would imagine you there are copies of the essay floating around the interwebz, but barring that it's included in this collection:http://www.amazon.com/Travels-Hyperreality-Harvest-Book-Umberto/dp/0156913216/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1418409090&sr=8-1&keywords=travels+in+hyperreality
Only somewhat on point, but there's a great Umberto Eco essay about the perceived value of "authenticity". At some level, I think there's an element of that. Plus, it's the same as any other hobby or interest into which we* decide to channel our OCD tendencies -- take something most other people find somewhat interesting and fetishize it to absurd extents. Could be jawnz, could be fantasy baseball, could be motorcycles, could be pizza-making.*Present company excluded,...