or Connect

Posts by lawyerdad

Understood. In some ways choosing among different forms of government is just about deciding who allocates the free shit.
Kind of leaves the butt exposed, no?
At least they're used to that.Heeeyyyyyy-O!
Setting the date a bit late, though, no?
It's not a diversity issue at all. It's a cognitive ability issue. (I think you just lost your future right to vote.) One who, for reasons of organic brain structure, psychology, or whatever, cannot understand other perspectives is almost certain to be a less robust and reliable thinker and reasoner. One can understand another's perspective and still not agree about what conclusions should follow.I think some of the discussions we have had here demonstrate fully that...
While I get the impulse to exclude from the process anyone who's not smart and informed enough to agree with me, the difficulties with trying to decide who is "qualified" or has enough "information" to participate in the political process are pretty evident. For example: should an insufficient to understand and empathize with the experiences of people with different backgrounds be a disqualifying factor?
Can't imagine how this could possibly go wrong.
Some people have already switched to the term "banana republic".
I get the broader point, but I guess I'm really quibbling with whether it's a problem with democracy, or a "problem" (or maybe just a fact) of human civilization. No civilization, no form of government, lasts forever.Dying isn't so much a problem of being skinny, it's a problem of being human. Citing "eventual death" as a problem for skinny people has an element of literal truth, but it's not particularly enlightening.
But you're associating the problem with a particular form of government. You may as well say that everyone who contracts cancer eventually dies -- or, to add some intertextuality, create a meme like NO SKINNY PERSON HAS EVER LIVED FOREVER!!*Since Harv hasn't been around for a while, I'll note for him that this is only true until we get sexy robot bodies.