or Connect

Posts by williamson

Tie OPTIONAL? How many times does it have to be said that jacket without tie is an unfinished and sloppy look?
I would be surprised if Bates actually called the hat a fedora. The word "fedora" has only been in common use in the UK since the 1980s at the earliest. In general, USA Fedora = UK Trilby, whatever the size of the brim.
A truly excellent summer day's ensemble (and the beard would seem to me to be more of a winter feature).
A pleasant, good-looking and practical style, I think.
I would say that under such conditions belt-loops (and belt!) are essential.But I like, and frequently wear, a long-sleeved shirt plus tie plus belted flat-front trousers (no jacket) in warm weather (as is the case now in most of the UK), which seems anathema to many SF members, especially those not on this side of the Atlantic!
I hope you would NOT use the "f" word - unpleasant and TOTALLY UNNECESSARY. To me the use of such language is a symbol of immaturity in the user.
I appreciate your reaction to my viewpoint, but the frequency of the look doesn't make it right!Suit without tie is itself a contradiction - the open-necked shirt is casual, the suit formal, so mixed messages are sent. Adding a jacket to an open-necked-shirt ensemble does NOT dress it up in any way.I find this decidedly odd, as it was my daily wear (as a teacher) throughout my career, and was what the great majority of male teachers wore and still wear. I do not see a tie...
Very sensible advice.Please, NO! This "look" is not casual, it's quite simply WRONG. Instead, move the whole ensemble a step in the casual direction - wear a sports jacket and a tie.
I am arguing for the reverse. Long-sleeved shirt with tie, worn with belted flat-front trousers are, in my opinion, a stylish summer look. As I've said above re suit without tie, jacket without tie looks sloppy and unfinished. Suit without tie adds incongruity - suit = formal, open-necked shirt = casual - mixed modes.I accept the possibility that this is a British-American cultural difference, so the SF mantra may be an American preference. Be that as it may, it...
I'm sorry, I don't agree at all - but then I strongly dislike open-necked shirts with sports jackets or blazers as well, and won't ever wear such combinations. I think that if one doesn't want to wear a tie, one shouldn't wear a jacket.