or Connect

Posts by williamson

The overheating of interiors causes many sartorial infelicities.The loathsome suit-without-tie look has become a uniform - and it is much more a uniform without the tie as the tie gives colour and individuality.Excellent! You've hit the nail on the head.Good for you - if only there were many more such victories!
Undoubtedly true - the January average temperature is 5C (39F)I very much agree - Barbours are basically country clothes; they look incongruous over city suits and are so short that one's trousers get wet from rain run-off. Very over-rated, in my opinion. Get a proper raincoat (at least knee-length) as Mike suggests. For headgear, flat caps are fairly frequent, a trilby/fedora much less so, but no one should criticise you for wearing either when it is practical to do so...
A very pleasant summery look!
UTTER NONSENSE! The reverse is the case.
I don't think that a jacket without a tie is ever expected here, even these days, whatever its frequency - again, perhaps a USA/UK cultural difference..Are you trying to say that I should never try to "objectify" (I hope that is the correct term) an aesthetic opinion? To say "I don't like..." is much weaker than to say "It's wrong (or bad, or whatever...)". Presumably, if beauty is in the eye of the beholder, "I don't like.." is all one can say - but I believe that there...
Thanks very much for the clarification. I find the Ivy Trad look attractive partly because it is subdued rather than flamboyant - but subdued need not be drab - there are more interesting jackets than the navy blazer. In any case, the later 1950s are, to me, the most attractive period of men's clothing.How so? I grant you that there could be an empirical fallacy, but hardly a logical one, unless you are saying that the bracketed bit of my posting that comes immediately...
.Who cares about being "outmoded"? For decades everyone has known that a tie should be worn when a jacket is worn (there are a few, but very few, acceptable exceptions, a roll-necked pullover with a tweed jacket being one). And to assert that jacket and tie is indicative of being traditionalist (I accept the connection with administrators) I find extraordinary - surely there is no correlation between outlook and preferred clothing style? I know hard-line leftists who...
Suppose you wear a nice shirt, wool slacks and nice shoes (I am deliberately near-quoting you). Adding a jacket does not add ONE JOT of style or formality - it simply adds insulation (a perfectly reasonable thing to do). It is the tie that adds the formality and style, and I think that if one doesn't want to wear a tie, one shoudn't wear a jacket.Americans seen to have a horror of going jacketless, many writing that they won't wear a tie without a jacket. My point of...
To my eye, all are unfinished and sloppy (unkempt collars simply can't be helped) except the man in the top picture. His ensemble is simply incongruous, with a pocket square but no tie. A pocket square is several steps UP in formality from a tie - the tie should come BEFORE the pocket square. Open-necked shirts with jackets were around in the early 1950s and the early 1970s. They didn't look good then, and they don't look good now since their revival at the turn of the...
I stand by what I wrote and insist that I am NOT wrong.