or Connect

Posts by williamson

Though I do not post frequently, I am hardly a "noob" (anyone can see when I first joined SF), and I do know what I am talking about! Many people inaccurately use the term "trench-coat" for any raincoat, but while all trench-coats are raincoats, all raincoats are NOT trench-coats. The use of inaccurate terminology doesn't help anyone.
PLEASE, a trench-coat is by definition double-breasted and belted. Single-breasted raincoats are NOT trench-coats! Many point this out, but few take notice.
PLEASE, a trench-coat is by definition double-breasted and belted. Single-breasted raincoats are NOT trench-coats! Many point this out, but few take notice.
Wool or cotton is the way to go - particularly if the jacket is rough-textured like a tweed.
I don't think this is true at all. American business dress appears far more conventional to me than what I see in our citiesOne has to be persistent, and I also wanted Roger to know that he is not alone.
No, you're not alone - I've been saying the same thing for a long time on this forum. The pocket square, to me, is a degree MORE dressed-up than the tieAs I loathe the jacket-without-tie look, thinking that, as Roger says, it's a mixed message, adding a pocket square compounds the incongruity.On a somewhat separate issue, pocket squares, except plain white ones on occasions like weddings and funerals, are much rarer in the UK than in the USA.
Were you around there and then, Sir? I certainly was. Why can't SF members who dislike what others write respond with a degree of politeness?
Until 25 years ago or so the term "fedora" was virtually unknown in Britain.I think this is the situation in Britain today; but your quotation from Bates throws another light on this question.
Indeed they do, and one of the functions of a raincoat/trenchcoat is as a topcoat for cool but not cold weather (Quadcammer's "55 degree weather" and some degrees below that.)Underlines my point above.
As you say, this look is a uniform. The tie would immediately make it less so, with its colourfulness and resulting individuality.