or Connect

Posts by williamson

Quote: Originally Posted by culverwood It can get pretty hot in Africa and Australia but I would always prefer to wear a lightweight trouser than a short with probably a long sleeve shirt...if you are walking all day long, for day after day cover from the sun (and that includes a hat) is better in hot weather. I couldn't agree more. Isn't the problem the currently accepted (but surely false) idea that comfortable clothing = minimal clothing?
I'm afraid the easy answer is both - they do different jobs. Your budget may make you decide on one rather than the other, but in the long run both are desirable.
Quote: Originally Posted by bartil Here's another (or maybe the same?) Grenfell cloth trench coat: http://www.lostworldsinc.com/Grenfel...rench_Coat.htm Anyone who knows more about this coat, the quality, size, possibility to complement with an inner button-liner etc.? I was lucky enough to win one of these on eBay uk some years ago. I can honestly say that it is the most waterproof cotton coat I have ever owned - much better in this respect...
Quote: ...a pair of (racing) green corduroy trousers...this autumnal colour and warm fabric would look very nice with my 'Barbour' jackets. Go ahead. Though I would prefer an olive green to racing green, the trousers you intend to buy will go very well with a Barbour jacket. If you wear "city" greys and blues during the working week, the "earth tones" of greens and browns make a pleasant contrast at weekends. I heartily endorse Tomasso's comment!
Quote: It is high time we returned to wearing clothes as a means of keeping ourselves warm...The only reason it is possible for modern man to wear cotton trousers (eg jeans) and t-shirt in winter is because of intense central heating. Absolutely right! The current superstition that comfortable clothing = minimal clothing also needs to be discarded.
The problem is the difference between indoor and outdoor temperatures. During the recent cold spell in the UK there could be a difference of 20 Celsius degrees between indoors and outdoors. One needs to put something substantial on in order to bridge that gap. Overheated interiors are a menace to sensible dressing - while they prevail, a relatively light suit plus overcoat would seem best, but if interior temperatures can be lowered, a heavy suit, preferably three-piece,...
[quote=Phat Guido;1501844] Today - Friday, usual tropical humid weather, no meetings, so business casual (my interpretation)... What stuck in mud "missionary position" poster thinks you can't wear a suit with no tie... Boring.. I think you should try & have sex with the lights on.. The second and third sentences quoted, Sir, are simply nasty.
Quote: Originally Posted by ManofKent I haven't, but I regularly wear a sports jacket without tie with an button down oxford weave shirt. Perhaps I'll try it with a suit... Please don't try it with a suit and please stop doing it with a sports jacket! Suit, sports jacket and blazer all look dreadful with open-necked shirts - sloppy and unfinished. It's a matter of incongruity - mixed messages, mixed modes. Suit = formal. Open-necked shirt =...
Quote: Originally Posted by francoamerican I can appreciate someone under 50 who wears: french cuffs, silk pocketsquares, braces and or side-tabs, antique eyeframes, elegant and elongating shoes a proper overcoat, and a fine watch to enhance their appearance - BUT a hat is *too* much for me; it turns it all into a costume in this day-and-age I feel - too affected. FA A hat worn with an overcoat or raincoat, as protection from cold or wet, is...
Quote: Originally Posted by JLibourel Manton, the rule of "no black shoes with odd jackets" was a new one to me when I encountered it...wearing a tweed jacket and brown brogues to dinner...I would be dressed far better than most of the other male patrons... The appropriateness of the footwear depends on the nature of the jacket, as you point out. Should not the colour of the ensemble also affect the colour of the shoes - brown with earth-tones,...