or Connect

Posts by williamson

Quote: Originally Posted by dr. locktopus I just started teaching 2 years ago, and I routinely wear dress slacks, a dress shirt and tie. This is what I wore for a teaching career of more than 30 years. I wore a jacket as well except in warm weather, but often removed it in the classroom. When I started teaching, that was the standard dress for my male colleagues, except for some of the senior ones who wore suits. By the time I finished, I was...
Quote: This whole suit-with-no-tie thing is absolutely ludicrous. It looks like the person didn't finish getting dressed, or maybe spilled something on their tie during the day and had to take it off. Spot-on!
Quote: Originally Posted by Bird's One View balmacaan I don't think it is - a balmacaan has raglan sleeves. This one looks like a classical central European Loden coat.
Quote: Originally Posted by lasbar The seventies were shocking...Brown suits and trousers with flares... I believe there is a book entitled "The 1970s - the decade that taste forgot" How right!
Quote: Originally Posted by Flashman I strongly recommend the 'fedora' - I got my black 'Burlington - Fedora' from Bates of London and it is worn usually with a grey or navy (plain and pin-stripe) suit, a rain-mack or over coat....I know it does look good. I'm sure it does look good with an outer coat; it's much "easier" (and to me more appropriate) to wear a hat with a coat than with a suit alone (as you mention here). That way there's a...
Quote: Originally Posted by bengal-stripe Dunn...were stuck in a time warp, with shop, merchandise and staff looking like remnants from the 1950s/early 60s. In my opinion, a very good stylistic period in which to have been stuck! Quote: Originally Posted by T&A Solid, unspectacular, even dull to many tastes, but somehow representative of a certain very particular sort of fogeyish Englishness. I loved the place. I...
Quote: Originally Posted by lasbar I love the look smart fitted suit with a pristine open neck shirt... My thoughts run on these lines: 1. A tie gives a much better visual balance than does a gaping open-necked shirt. 2. Suit = formal. Open-necked shirt = casual. Therefore, suit +open-necked shirt = incongruous mixture, The result is mixed message, mixed metaphor, mixed modes. The reductio ad absurdum of this is suit +...
Quote: Originally Posted by tripp Let me get this straight: if your pants match your jacket, the absence of a nectie will be painfully obvious? but if i switch out the suit pants for odd trousers, i'm good? Conventions such as this contributed greatly to an office culture of flip-flops and baggy khakis in the 90s and leaves suits affixed to the back of the closet. To me an open-necked shirt with sports jacket, blazer or suit simply looks...
Quote: Originally Posted by letmebefell A man in a suit with no tie is a man who has not finished dressing. Hear, hear!
Quote: Originally Posted by JayJay Yes, I agree. It has to be the right size/shape for one's head, worn at an appropriate angle, and worn with confidence. Otherwise, it can look awful. Isn't it easier with an overcoat or raincoat than with a suit alone? With an outer coat it is more obvious that the hat is worn for practical reasons and the look cannot so readily be called "costumey".