or Connect

Posts by oldog/oldtrix

A former colleague, with whom I haven't worked and have seen only rarely since he moved to another city about 20 years ago, was talking on the phone with a current colleague about a month ago. The former colleague said, "I'll bet you dinner the next time we're together that [oldog] is wearing gray pants today." He won the dinner. It has long been my religious conviction that gray trousers are the best choice, by far, for all occasions calling for trousers except...
Quote: Originally Posted by yo! Of course mixing a short coat with fuller cut trousers would be disastrous.... Or not: http://members.isp01.net/hfsears/imAstaire/Shall03.jpg Fred's coat appears even shorter, relative to his total body length, than the one worn by your first model; and the quarters on Fred's coat, being more open, call even greater attention to his trousers, which have probably twice the volume of your model's. I happen...
Quote: Originally Posted by dboll I used to use shirt stays with my USAF uniform on certain occasions for that extra sharp look. They become very uncomfortable after several hours of wear, but not unbearable. I have not worn them since discharging, nor do I plan to. What did you do with those shirt stays to cause discharging? And why have you not used them since; can they not be washed?
Quote: Originally Posted by centalones It sounds to me like the guy was trying to make conversation with the OP; they were at a party after all. I'll accept that thesis. I don't remember (but I am over 60) ever being questioned in a negative or aggressive manner about the "why" of my attire, in a social setting or otherwise, and I think that has to do with dressing appropriately to the occasion as many here have said. I am, however, often...
Quote: Originally Posted by AnGeLiCbOrIs This seemed pretty cool to me but I've never been able to do it. Here is a better method to achieve a perfectly tucked shirt (sorry, no photos available): 1. Unstitch inner leg seams and crotch/seat seam of trousers, but leave waistband fully intact. 2. Put on shirt and button all buttons (collar button may be left unbuttoned if desired). 3. Hold trousers aloft, with waistband unbuttoned...
My trouser waist size is 16 ½ inches, if I wear my pants around my neck. However, if I wear them at that point between the top of my hip bones and the bottom of my rib cage that allows for proper drape, my trouser waist size is 36 inches. That's the 35 inches that my actual waist measures, plus room to comfortably tuck in a shirt (and undershirt in cooler weather) and allow the trousers to hang unimpeded, with pleats fully closed, from my suspenders.
All this talk of guns is missing the point. Weights in garments are, in fact, weapons. As I learned from reports of the 1968 anti-government demonstrations in Paris, the French police had lead weights sewn into the hems of their uniform capes and used these quite effectively to discourage demonstrators by "flicking" the faces of the rabble with the weighted hems. Hence the epithet "les Flik," which I believe equated roughly with the porcine pejorative for police widely...
Quote: Originally Posted by riverrun The link you cite states that the original usage in Cervantes is "the proof of the pudding is in the tasting" (I assume it means some spanish equivalent), but, even if that is the right translation, how does that make "the proof is in the pudding" incorrect? Isn't a *saying* determined by what people say? People can, of course, say whatever they want, but the sense of the original saying is that you can't...
With all of the worthy aspirants to higher education who are unable, through no fault of their own, to attend college, I find those who loaf their way through to be a national disgrace. NO LOAFERS IN COLLEGE, says I.
Quote: Originally Posted by Joel_Cairo +1. I've always had a suspicion that there's something conspicuously consumerist about patent leather formal shoes: They look terrible once they're creased, meaning that a man who often finds himself in formal situations has to be sufficiently wealthy to replace these über-unversatile shoes with not inconsiderable frequency, lest he risk looking flat-out bad. The schmancier the circles you run in, the more money you...