or Connect

Posts by Holdfast

Another outing for this light grey suit, but this time with dark brown instead of black shoes. I think light grey can work with both. Maybe next time, burgundy?  
 Funnily enough, some people these days are spending money on elocution lessons to actually add a few rough edges to an RP accent. It's thought to help if they want to work in certain circles. Horses for courses, I suppose. On average, I still think RP opens more doors than it closes.  Thanks! But no special historical knowledge or authority here, I'm afraid. Merely musings based on my personal experiences and from living here.  You're not the first person to say something...
I might be up for a casual summer suit or jacket if they came to London, depending on the exact price, process and waiting time. They do an interesting shoulder for casualwear that's impossible to get for a low amount here. Would be a nice bit of variety to my more structured stuff from my usual tailor.
spacepope advertised the poll in the CM WAYWRN so expect some of us fuddy-duddies to pop up here.   What I found interesting what that while the contest is focused on breaking CM traditions of proportionality, the looks that were most successful (in terms of leading the current voting) were also the looks that appealed most to my fairly traditional eye. For example, diniro, futuresailors and kgfan5 all got votes from me. Why? Because I suspect that if you're going to...
 A shared sentiment. My waistline doesn't, however... a rare treat only. Re: the FNB article - I got bored halfway through reading it so skimmed the second half. My impression is that it's a mixed bag of historical fact, truism and opinion. I'd summarise my opinion as saying that bold shirts are certainly accepted within the language of professional dress in the UK. Note, "professional dress" which is not necessarily the same as "conservative dress". That is to say, there...
 You people are so damn virtuous. I find all the above mind-numbing. I can just about enjoy the final stage of a buffing a toecap to a high shine, but as for the rest, I find them ineffably dull. You can add ironing shirts to the list. I only do them because a) I can't find anyone decent to do them, and b) I'm a tight bastard sometimes. Maybe I have a very empty mind already, so don't need the chores to clear it out?  (funnily enough, I do like more typical meditation,...
Beware the future; the days of WAYWRN are numbered...     (via reddit, but originally from this tumblr)
 Yeah, it was obviously so on my screen too, and I think the trousers were enough of a brilliant/optic white to contrast with the more drab jacket. Perfectly fine, IMO. More generally, I also think that you get get away with more tonal (rather than contrasting) outfits in summer than winter, due to the brightness of the sunshine making small differences clearer. You can see the same principle at play with some other spring/summer combinations such combining pastel shades,...
 Maybe loosen the belt one notch so it falls both a little lower on the waist and lower at the shoe? I generally like a standard+ rise myself, but with chinos - or at least this pair - I think it looks a bit high on you. How have you not owned a pair of cotton trousers up to now? :) Very short, no? And very high buttoning point. I don't think the combination flatters you IMO. Spoo - you know I love funky colours & patterns too but this combination is just too much for...