or Connect

Posts by Holdfast

That's cool. Figured it might be a bit beyond the borderline of what you were looking for in this thread. Though I must admit I don't really see the intrinsic appeal of such ties; there's a really broad spectrum between crazy and coma-inducing, with vast swathes of that spectrum being perfectly acceptable in any social or business context. Put it this way, I wouldn't think twice about wearing that tie to hypothetically meet the Queen (probably as good a litmus test for...
 My words weren't meant as a didactic analysis of the etymological origins of Satan; merely anecdote based on my - doubtless partial and/or faulty - memory of reading about the word. Having said that, I think it's a fair bet that the word is some, probably corrupted or archaic, form of Hebrew. Of course, you're entirely correct that all words have a cultural context which provides a certain added "aura" to their meaning which those of us in the present day will always find...
Maybe? Depends on the state of the fabric and how it's been finished, I suspect. A tailor would be able to let you know for sure, but might have to unpick the lining a bit to be certain.
Feel free to DQ if deemed too energetic for this thread; it's about as sober a tie as I own, seems consistent with other entries so far, and I think it's perfectly respectable but I don't think I've ever read the soporific tie thread so it may be that SF has a more extreme definition. By the way, it's an interesting choice of word. When I'm feeling particularly & deliberately pretentious I've been known to refer to what we now tend to call hypnotic (or sedative) drugs by...
 Funnily enough, I did, once. It apparently means "adversary", which is a much more neutral-sounding concept than we usually think of a devil. Lacking any specific insight into why such a concept was chosen, I wonder if it somewhat harks back to polytheistic religions where different deities were in conflict but that didn't necessarily imply one was evil and the other good (and indeed where balance between opposing forces could be a positive). Obviously, with a...
Rare second post in one day, as going out later and the pinstripe suit worn earlier wouldn't be appropriate:  
 It's a testament to the high quality of the rest of the look - and the cyclical nature of fashion - that a tie that would not be amiss if found in a late-1970s/early-80s polyester bargain bin can seem halfway-decent.     Today, first time wearing a suit since the 29th of May:  A couple of casual looks from the past few days:  [[SPOILER]]  Perhaps controversial elements in the casual looks: 1) the white trousers are cotton/linen in a jean cut. I usually don't press them,...
 Like Stiva says, both turn-ups/cuffs and plain ends have their respective places. I generally like turn-ups on "fluffy" fabrics: tweeds, flannels, etc, and plain trousers on either very citified suits or on casual summery odd trousers. Sometimes I roll instead of cuff, for example today as I'm wearing drivers (which have very little heel height) and the trousers would therefore be a bit long without the roll. Shirt's a fairly bright lemon yellow but somehow that doesn't...
 This is awesome. I would laugh too, but in a good way, with the wearer not at them. Perfect for a BBQ or pool party or something like that.
I don't generally post into this thread, but since I've been really casual with the warm weather for the past week or so, I figured I might as well collate a few fits and post 'em up: