or Connect

Posts by Holdfast

Thanks for the interesting link. To answer the thread title I would say, "Almost certainly not."   I've heard the thesis before, but to my mind it's belied by the vast amount of evidence to suggest that humanity enjoyed keeping up with changing aesthetic tastes in clothes, accessories and homewares for millennia prior to the Renaissance. You simply need to go to any reasonably large/broad museum and observe the changes chronologically for yourself.   What is more...
Reflects my age, but rolled up billowy shirts and high waisted loose trouserss will always equal awesome 80s summer style to me.   Remember Cocktail? Which of you didn't want to look as cool as Tom Cruise & Bryan Brown at the beach?   Examples:        
 I don't know whether this applies to many, but for me, clothes are entertainment. Entertainment comes in a huge variety of forms. Sometimes, you can be entertained by a complex introspective play. Sometimes, it's a brainless sitcom. As long as you're entertained I refuse to acknowledge that one is a superior artform to the other, unless you model the purpose of the medium to be something other than entertainment. Clothes have less substance than even the most imbecilic...
 Thanks. I hardly ever get to wear such light coloured shoes, so took the opportunity. The red polo is a bit golf coursey, I suppose. By the way, for the entire thread: I just read that Anne Hollander died last week. Sad news. If you haven't read Seeing Through Clothes, I highly recommend it.
 I very much agree that dots/spots/neats and all their kith & kin look best when arranged in diagonals. I've raised the point before. You will get some people strongly agreeing and some people never even noticing the alignment until its pointed out. It's always interesting to realise that we all see the world so differently. Anyway, today:  Plus a couple more casual fits from recent days, not yet posted:  [[SPOILER]]
 Don't know if it's from them, but there are quite a few 80s-ish very heavily-textured or prominently-woven jackets at Suitsupply. IIRC, there's even a suit with the kind of small tesselating geometrics or zig-zags that you used to see in the mid/late 80s.You can conceive all of this as a natural extension of the trend towards using texture as pattern, but it's interesting how it's still visually very reminiscent of the 80s. I kind of like it myself. But I liked the 80s...
 Great suit; first time in this thread? Square might be a little too light in colour, but hey, it's summer so...  Maybe it's telling you to start getting lower buttoning points after all!
 I don't know whether you were aware of this when writing that sentence but your choice of words made me chuckle: the books I've done for the UK tests I mentioned are in For Dummies series...  Anyway, you'll get there eventually, I'm sure. Obvious stuff to mention but: 1) identify & then focus most on the topics you struggle with and don't just waste prep time doing stuff you feel happy doing because you're good at it; 2) consider getting private tuition from a reputable...
Thought about wearing one of my old school ties, but in the end opted for this instead:  
 At first glance, I thought the chair back was part of the jacket, and that you were wearing a really extreme pagoda shoulder. Kinda disappointed when I took a second look... :)  As someone who lost about 60lbs years ago and who also teaches preparation courses for, and has written books on doing well on, these kinds of aptitude test (not the GMAT specifically, so I have no financial interest in my subsequent advice), I feel uniquely placed to advise! The key is...