or Connect

Posts by Holdfast

Friday Challenge x-post:  
Pinstripe sort of day...  
I'm getting the popcorn out for this thread, given the sometimes bizarre hang-ups people develop after being on this board for a while.   But one thing re: the shoelace knot issue, some years ago I switched to the better knot and it really does reduce the frequency of having to retie knots during the day esp. with particularly a couple of pairs that have somewhat slippery laces. Practically, it's a much better knot and takes no extra effort, so why not switch?
 I don't want to get into this much more than I already have, partly because the more I talk about it, the more it comes across as an important issue to me, which it isn't particularly. Also, it makes me seem more judgemental than in practice I actually am. But briefly, what I was explaining was my own set of prejudices/biases, not about the reality of other people's lives/attitudes. The lists of traits was not about how actual posters on SF are, but rather the personality...
 Ha ha! You know, for me, it's more the concepts that go alongside each of the modes I mentioned, that turn me off them: - The "stealth wealth elegance" vibe has cultural associations with a certain kind of heavily aspirational, "work hard/play hard", often hypocritically Puritan, professional/social climbing attitudes that make me barf.- I have more sympathy with the "modern (pseudo-)aristocratic dandy" angle, except for the apparent baggage of emotional insecurity that...
 I wear suede in rain, partly because I have a pair of bit loafers with a dainite sole. A quick brush once they're dry & they're as good as new. You don't need to baby them. Caveats: I wouldn't wear them in snow (more because of salty slush than the snow itself), and I don't live in a very busy/polluted city where rain/puddles on the pavements/sidewalks would create oil/other staining. I hate chukkas the first week I wear a new pair, precisely because of that feel around...
I'm assuming from the links that you're in Australia? If not, I wouldn't wear a seersucker jacket anywhere, regardless of the occasion. It's just way too weird in winter.   Assuming the wedding is indeed a warm-weather occasion, and the dress code is smart but no suits, then off-white trousers (pressed with a crease), white shirt and navy knit or grenadine tie would be a pretty cool but smart outfit. I'm not a big fan of the shoes, but if that's what you've got, that's...
 I've posted here for long enough to enjoy the game of predicting which outfits SF will like; I'm usually right these days. SF has a very specific look. Not so much in terms of specific garment combinations (though that exists too), but almost always in terms of the image/life evinced the outfit (generally either "stealth wealth elegance" or "modern (pseudo-)aristocratic dandy"). Those aren't lifestyles that my own life/attitude always chimes with: there's a partial...
 Interesting; for me it's the suede pairs that are near-zero maintenance and teh calf ones that require work. With calf, you have to polish after every few wears or so; with suede, it's mere seconds with a suede brush once in a while and that's it! I'll try to put something together for the contest, later this week. I wasn't able to enter the last couple of challenges, so it will be fun to play again.
Busy, busy day... though for once, not so much so on the clothes side of things.