or Connect

Posts by Holdfast

Pingson did say he wanted to burn them all. I think that means he counts as a seconder!  
 Re: #1 - I just think they look wonky most of the time. Re: #2 - technically true, but as Shakespeare, Defoe, Dickens, Trollope & the KJV all happily use "from whence", I feel in decent enough company to continue to use the more poetic and certianly prettier - albeit illogical - construction. And where better than SF to value prettiness over logic! I just googled the issue, and apparently arguments over the propriety of its usage date back the the 14th century! P.S. you...
 Yeah, that would normally be my position, but was inspired by that fit yesterday so dared to attempt again. Will probably return it to the drawer depths from whence it came...  Thanks. It's not bad for RTW; there is a minor issue I'm aware of, that isn't immediately obvious in the snap, but in the main it's pretty decent and for the price, it can't be argued with. The shoes are kind of unusual: they're woven leather mostly but with smooth leather at the toecap, heel and...
 lol, I just did the same whittling-down exercise. Applied the utmost discipline and managed to limit myself to about 5 spread collars and 1 BD to add to my current wishlist of fabrics to get at some point.
 Great, bold tie for this look.   After seeing someone (IIRC Sander) pull off an item I generally dislike - contrast-edged white linen square - I decided to dig my only such square out from the very bottom of the drawer to give it a go again. Very casual fit today, inc. the dreaded polo-under-jacket look.  
Interesting. I happened to wear a hat with polo shirt today. A bit too country-clubbish to be interesting, I suppose, but I may as well enter it anyway!  
 I'm pretty sure I have the middle two, IIRC. They're both OK, but neither is my favourite white from Luxire. I actually prefer teh unbranded Ivory White Broadcloth, though it has the faintest of sheens (and therefore formality) that some may not like.  So much to like here.
 In general, or paired with suede shoes? In general, I am in favour of them. I like them because I find them very useful, filling a lighter-weight niche for casual suits. In the past, without central heating or with a lot of time spent outside, the older, heavier, flannel or tweed options were great. Nowadays, it's nice to have the pattern without the weight. I do still have some of the heavier fabrics (well, fairly light by historical standards, but heavier than most...
 Yes, suede in summer is just as nice as in winter. From wingtips to loafers to drivers, all perfectly fine to wear in summer, though it does help if they're slightly lighter in shade than their winter counterparts. Linen and cotton are both perfectly fine with it. I'd even say summer tropical wool suits are fine with suede shoes, but only if they're obviously casual (eg cream or similarly pale shade, not navy or most greys. Perhaps even exceptionally pale grey, beyond...
Had a fairly busy weekend with a trip to a conference. No pics of the outfit I wore to its dinner (yet), but it was my purple tramline navy suit with a steely-blue shirt with slight sheen and a near-black/very-dark-red satiny tie with a small pink neat print. The blue blazer, grey trouser outfit was for the meeting itself and taken at the end of a long day when I got back home. The DB is today; much more relaxed! The BD's roll and collar generally relaxed signficantly...