or Connect

Posts by Holdfast

Rudals: thanks for the feedback on my thoughts, but please let's not turn this into another sterile SF meta discussion; that wasn't my intent. I only wanted to put forth another perspective on certain items/outfits. It can stand or fall on its own merits without a broader introspective into SF's direction!     Re: your outfit today, I think this is the second time I've seen you sport a twin-peak pocket hanky fold. How do you like it? Think you'll stick with it?
^ concept is great, and I like the shirt. Hat might be slightly big on you? Or at least, the crown might be slightly too high relative to the brim width? Something about the proportion isn't quite right IMO, but it's not far off.
I really don't like navy suits with tan shoes. It looks quite flashy, and not in a fun/good way.   If you really, really must combine light brown shoes with a blue suit my tips would be these:   - only do it on the sunniest days of the year - only do it with a blue suit that is at least a couple of shades brighter than navy (and preferably much lighter still) - only do it within a reasonably casual outfit/setting   I almost always wear black shoes with navy suits....
thumbed for the entertainment value, stitchy!   Actually, if you had a panama, the tie-less version would have rocked with it. Navy straw hat also. Cream trousers with either headwear option and it would have been even better.   Srs question: how much leeway do most reasonably observant Jews have in yarmulke choice? Can you have different ones for different outfits, or is there a more prescriptive range?
 I see. That is different. I think you could conceivably take a working-class spin on this if you really want to go down the industrial road. I know I've seen John Hurt wearing something on a red carpet night that might work... let me see if I can google it up... yes, here we are:   Obviously, you'd have to improve each item a bit in terms of fit/design, but the concept of a black shirt, french worker's style overshirt/jacket and black trousers with black shoes (possibly...
 SF has more or less learned that there are differences in formality between different clothes and has a tendency to use a city/country dichotomy as a way to express that. However, this fit is an example of an outfit where a more useful split would be day/night, or office/dinner, or at least some kind of similar "event-based" context. As an outfit in itself, it's fine. However, as a daytime outfit, it's pretty awful. Too dark. As a night-out outfit, with a light coloured...
Some interesting looks coming in; good to see the experimentation!   Clags, if those trousers had been black jeans instead (maybe dark blue, but I think black would have been better), yours would have been pretty damn fantastic and my favourite so far.
An obvious - if slightly 90s - option would be a mandarin collar shirt plus solid dark navy (or even black) SB suit. A slightly more modern (but only up to mid-2000s at best) alternative would be the same, but with a fully buttoned-up point collar white shirt. No tie. Maybe no square.   In either case, the suit would need to have a simple/flat finish rather than anything too textured, in order to echo the simplicity of the shirt.   What I wear when I go to a dressy...
 It's scary how similar our builds must be! Glad to see you putting it to very good use. Wear it in good health! It actually looks a bit more proportional on you than it did on me, esp. in terms of where the button falls and how the lapels look as a result.
 One day I'm going to make a very long list of all the sartorial items I despise. Then I'm going to recite the list to lull myself to sleep every night, a la Arya Stark...