or Connect

Posts by Holdfast

Some sunshine has - no doubt fleetingly - returned to foggy Albion:     An unusual - for me - wearing of a tie with a BD collar. I wasn't initially going to wear a tie, then changed my mind. Normally I greatly prefer open-neck BD collars. Still, a couple of times a year I do succumb...
 Subtract the square, and I think this would be a great, relaxed look. Sure, SF isn't fond of dark shirts generally and esp. with dark jackets... and I see why. But here, I think it looks nice. The square is just a bit too much for that kind of relaxed vibe though IMO.   I may/probably have mentioned this before, but you have a generally conservative/traditional style but many of your jackets seem quite short to fit within that style. I appreciate that photo angle plays...
 Funnily enough, I used to have a not-dissimilar paisley Lacroix tie in white/cream. It was pretty fly, but I don't go to many occasions where it was suitable so I sold it off a while ago. What colour suit are you wearing for the wedding? It's controversial, but I personally believe that the standard silver/grey wedding ties (be they houndstooth, POW, checks or even paisleys) work best with dark (or at most mid-) grey suits in terms of creating that formal-but-festive...
 Yeah, same here. I've worn the navy worsted flannel suit I mentioned upthread many times, and it generally gets positive feedback. I've only rarely mentioned that it's ventless.   But just to throw a cat amongst the pigeons, here's a point I remember discussing years ago on here with someone: should - assuming the suit is approproriately & well-cut - a ventless suit's silhouette appear any different to an - equally appropriately & well-cut - vented suit's silhouette? The...

Superb set of entries from a large number of people. Really entertaining field to look through and select favourites. In truth, I could probably have voted for a dozen or more outfits. However, because the field is just so massive, I decided to instead pick one outfit that I thought was a cut above the rest. Partly because unlike many of the good outfits, there wasn't a single element I'd change. And partly because the fellow's wearing sunglasses indoors. You just can't...
 Sounds like useful motivation.  I ordered my current one when I was a little heavier; not by much, but enough that the suit is slightly big on me, so that's part of the reason I'm thinking about replacing it with a bespoke one. Shame, really, it was actually one of my favourite suits for a long time.
 I do this too, for big items like suits & jackets (I don't list ties, squares, socks, etc) though I only list the original price to know what to tell the insurer if anything ever happened like a fire. Mind you, home contents insurers don't generally do "new for old" for clothes but rather apply a depreciation... still, knowing exactly what I own and how much it originally cost should help if I ever needed to make a big claim, god forbid. I don't really see the attraction...
 I have to agree, and it's especially noticeable in those who post regularly enough in waywrn such that I have a good idea of their personal style. Most of those personal quirks come through strongly in their choices here, despite the theoretical restrictions of the challenge.
 Fun suit; is it Suitsupply? I was looking at that one myself a while back but figured I just wouldn't wear it all that much. Butler - it's nice to see a no-vent jacket occasionally in this thread. I only have one no-vent suit (a midnight-navy worsted flannel MTM job with peak lapels and so it therefore has a vaguely tux-esque vibe when worn at night, so the lack of vents seemed appropriate), but that suit's getting a little old now and I'm idly thinking about ordering a...