or Connect

Posts by Holdfast

I really don't like navy suits with tan shoes. It looks quite flashy, and not in a fun/good way.   If you really, really must combine light brown shoes with a blue suit my tips would be these:   - only do it on the sunniest days of the year - only do it with a blue suit that is at least a couple of shades brighter than navy (and preferably much lighter still) - only do it within a reasonably casual outfit/setting   I almost always wear black shoes with navy suits....
thumbed for the entertainment value, stitchy!   Actually, if you had a panama, the tie-less version would have rocked with it. Navy straw hat also. Cream trousers with either headwear option and it would have been even better.   Srs question: how much leeway do most reasonably observant Jews have in yarmulke choice? Can you have different ones for different outfits, or is there a more prescriptive range?
 I see. That is different. I think you could conceivably take a working-class spin on this if you really want to go down the industrial road. I know I've seen John Hurt wearing something on a red carpet night that might work... let me see if I can google it up... yes, here we are:   Obviously, you'd have to improve each item a bit in terms of fit/design, but the concept of a black shirt, french worker's style overshirt/jacket and black trousers with black shoes (possibly...
 SF has more or less learned that there are differences in formality between different clothes and has a tendency to use a city/country dichotomy as a way to express that. However, this fit is an example of an outfit where a more useful split would be day/night, or office/dinner, or at least some kind of similar "event-based" context. As an outfit in itself, it's fine. However, as a daytime outfit, it's pretty awful. Too dark. As a night-out outfit, with a light coloured...
Some interesting looks coming in; good to see the experimentation!   Clags, if those trousers had been black jeans instead (maybe dark blue, but I think black would have been better), yours would have been pretty damn fantastic and my favourite so far.
An obvious - if slightly 90s - option would be a mandarin collar shirt plus solid dark navy (or even black) SB suit. A slightly more modern (but only up to mid-2000s at best) alternative would be the same, but with a fully buttoned-up point collar white shirt. No tie. Maybe no square.   In either case, the suit would need to have a simple/flat finish rather than anything too textured, in order to echo the simplicity of the shirt.   What I wear when I go to a dressy...
 It's scary how similar our builds must be! Glad to see you putting it to very good use. Wear it in good health! It actually looks a bit more proportional on you than it did on me, esp. in terms of where the button falls and how the lapels look as a result.
 One day I'm going to make a very long list of all the sartorial items I despise. Then I'm going to recite the list to lull myself to sleep every night, a la Arya Stark...  
Pingson did say he wanted to burn them all. I think that means he counts as a seconder!  
 Re: #1 - I just think they look wonky most of the time. Re: #2 - technically true, but as Shakespeare, Defoe, Dickens, Trollope & the KJV all happily use "from whence", I feel in decent enough company to continue to use the more poetic and certianly prettier - albeit illogical - construction. And where better than SF to value prettiness over logic! I just googled the issue, and apparently arguments over the propriety of its usage date back the the 14th century! P.S. you...