or Connect

Posts by Holdfast

On a serious note, the USA is seriously bizarre - and I think virtually unique in the world - in that it requires tax returns based on citizenship rather than residence. So US expats have always technically had to file annual IRS returns, even if living abroad and only earning overseas, and even if that country has a taxation treaty with USA to prevent double taxation. This is clearly an insane requirement, but historically many US expats in such countries just ignored...
 Oh, totally British, and a more or less RP accent too. My parents left the States when I was still a baby and they're not American by birth. My dual nationality was a fluke. There's a little bit of non-British influence that's more apparent on certain words (I have family spread across several continents, so there's some odd influences). But it's essentially an RP accent.
Great outfit. I don't normally do this kind of pedantry, but since the etymology is kind of amusing, I'll break the habit of a lifetime. The idiom is generally "chock full" rather than "chalk full", and IIRC derives from "choke full" as in being gorged with so much food that it's at risk of overflowing back up the gullet and putting you at risk of choking.  I really dig these colours. Beautiful.  I was going to say and ask the same, with the caveat that I think slightly...
Going to use a fit from this week, as I lack both the patience & inclination to go back and find a better one.   P.S. not only a furriner but - quite literally - avowedly so, as I renounced my US citizenship a couple of years ago (nothing against the USA or its people - I was sad to do it - merely that FATCA/IRS created too expensive & too intrusive an annual regulatory burden, and besides, I've lived virtually my entire life here and am almost totally culturally...
 Corneliani, for Ralph Lauren Polo.
^ there is a blue undertoned "solaro" which is kind of cool. Can't remember the exact name, but it's a pun on sun vs moon. Monaro, Lunaro or Seleno; something like that.
 Thanks! It's something I want to do much more of in casual fits too, esp. with summer on its way. I really want to move away from polo shirts and towards crewnecks, either tees like today or light cotton sweaters if it's cooler. As an experiment, I'm also getting some Nehru collar shirts (possibly hybridised with a kurta style top) as a halfway house for a slightly smarter look that can slot in between the crewneck and a more usual BD collar shirt. I have a hairy chest so...
 I'm idly thinking about adding an airforce, or more likely, steel blue suit to my own summer mix. It's a fairly unusual colour these days, but can tone exceptionally well with the tropical colours you sometimes see in summer, in the same way that light grey can.
From what I just posted in a different thread: "summer suits are tricky beasts. There are two ways to pull them off IMO: effortless pristine coolness despite the heat or graceful rumpled acceptance of the day. Trying to do both is guaranteed failure."   So if you pick cotton or linen, expect and enjoy looking rumpled. If you want to maintain an ethereal precision, go for light-weight wool.   I would add an extra caveat, especially for a wedding suit, which will be...
 The suit is nice, but I think low-cut DB waistcoats like this are best reserved for formalwear; a more typical suit DB waistcoat might work a bit better. YMMV on this though, and if you like it, that's enough for me!  With the buttons done up, I don't like that vest. It buttons too high. Undo at least one button, probably two, and colour-wise I think it will work quite well in that fit.     Thanks for all the nice feedback from many people on yesterday's DB/bow-tie look....