or Connect

Posts by Holdfast

Is that the same shirt we were talking about upthread? I think it is, though it looks a bit paler here. Nice to see you braving the red tie, albeit in a subdued knit! BTW, I happened across this old picture of a similar shirt being worn nicely IMO:    Is your preference actually a function of the material, or indirect because linen tends to be folded rather than puffed? If the latter, it may simply be because pinstripe suits tend to look similarly sharp. Having said that...
 Also, RJ via Mr Porter (though I'd ideally prefer it in a somewhat darker shade): http://www.mrporter.com/mens/richard_james/knitted-silk-tie/379405  You have a very consistent, very American-feeling style. It's always good to see some clear archetypes of dress on the board, in amongst the more eclectic choices.  After a long day yesterday, much more chilled out today: 
^ thanks!   There are a variety of options. Red for a retro 80s vibe, navy or forest green for something subdued... something in the darker teal range for a more tonal outfit... if you go red, you can also go for a print of some kind (loud with loud), but if you go for the teal or the navy, then either a very sedate print or a solid. I also wonder how a dark teal knit might look, and it's also the kind of tie I think you either may already own or will find useful with...
 Whether one likes the tie or not is a matter of personal preferemce, but I think it would be displayed in its best light in a more formal evening outfit than a daytime one.  I have virtually the same shirt and have tried it both ways (formal navy fit and casual grey tweedy one). I far prefer the citified version. It is rather slick though, which I suspect puts you off as you generally eschew that kind of look (personally, I dig that kind of in-your-face vibe, at least...
 I think it's amply covered by your third/final choice; it would be a suspiciously narrow definition of benefit that actively excluded an increase in happiness. I fall into the final category too, with multiple benefits from personal enjoyment/satisfaction to smoothing other aspects of social interaction. From the title, I initially wondered whether this thread would be "why are you in CM as opposed to SWD". It think my answer to that is harder to express, but broadly, my...
  Interesting coincidence to see these two pics appear in the thread right after each other. They're both nice enough, but I prefer Papperskatt's interpretation. It's a little more harmonious to my eye and in spite of many vintage details is wearable today. Dockers' interpretation is a little more formal, which is fine in itself, but I find the colours and the lack of patterns to be a little too serious for a cream summer jacket. Cream jackets, if worn with a very...
 Same one/colour, IIRC. It's a kind of burgundy-red.  Yeah, it was because the tie went so well that I decided to wear it at the last minute; seemed a shame not to, given how nicely it complemented the other colours. Thanks! I had the same initial reservations about the colour scheme... but the weather was changeable today, with mixed sun & showers, so it didn't seem too bad a choice. Also, the jacket and tie are both summery materials (linen Suitsupply in the Havana cut...
 Your more aggressive colour combinations, esp. tie-wise have not gone un-noticed. Enjoying seeing the experiments evolve.   Wasn't going to wear a tie today, then changed my mind. Personally, I'm never entirely happy wearing BD collars & ties as the regulars here know, but I wasn't going to bother changing the shirt after changing my mind... 
Clags, EFV and Thin White Duke. Duke would be my clear fave if only he'd worn a white belt instead of the blue. Brilliant interpretation, esp. given how few of us on SF would actually have the items in those colours to do it so well. EFV is really great but overall, I prefer the vibe Clags got going there.
For the Friday Art Challenge:     And more in its inspirational context:     As I mentioned upthread, I do have a fondness for Baroque art and I have a print of the cardsharps hanging on the wall above the table in this snap, just offscreen to the right of where I'm sitting. It's a bit cheesy to have that kind of print, but cheesiness has never bothered me, and I love the painting. I tried to draw inspiration from the various colours and the bold contrasts rather...