or Connect

Posts by Dmax

Do you mean Sheriff's auctions of cars towed and unclaimed? I went to one back in late '90s and it was mostly junk. IMO, the better stuff gets bought before the auction starts. If you are not an expert, these types of car auctions are probably not the best place to buy. There are also auctions of ex-cop cars but I assume they are mostly attended by used car dealers who specialize in reselling these. In your price range you should look at less deirable used cars:...
Can anyone recommend a high quality consistently accurate blood pressure monitor? I bought an automatic Omron from a drugstore a couple of years ago for around $65 and the readings are all over the places even when taken a minute apart. Should I go for an old-school manual monitor with a stethoscope if I want a consistently accurate device? Do these need to be calibrated every few months?
Quote: Originally Posted by BBSLM The first car I saw on the homepage was an '08 BMW 328 for $98/mo for 9 months. Doesnt sound like a bad deal to me. Swapalease is worth considering, though that particular deal looks fishy to me. The lease mileage allowance looks way too high at 55,000. BMW Financial Services likes to get the cars back before the warranty runs out, which is at 50K. The seller wants $2000 down payment plus you have to...
Quote: Originally Posted by foodguy do you prefer either knife? I like them both equally. I tend to use the larger knife when I have the larger cutting board out and the smaller knife when I just need to chop a couple of things on one of the smaller boards. I have a decently sized kitchen by NYC standards but usable space is still at a premium.
Quote: Originally Posted by gomestar thinking about eventually upgrading my chef's knife. Any insight on the pros/cons of something like this?. Quote: Originally Posted by gomestar all reasons (except ease of cleaning, I don't care) to consider. I'm not a tremendous fan of the hammered look, but I find it to be generally attractive. Shape is fine, I enjoyed it in the store. 50/50 balance is something I'm considering, I am...
Fra'mani Mortadella is very good. For NYC members, I've seen Fairway carry both with and without pistachios versions. While visiting SF a few weeks ago, I was blown away by Mortadella and Proscuitto Cotto made by Boccalone. Looks like they are based in Berkley, just like Fra'mani. I wonder what it is about Berkley that attracts artisan pork salumi makers..
Quote: Originally Posted by sho'nuff yeah i guess it's fine for home but the enterprise one we use sucks . it literally sucks /drains the pcs here of their performance I meant it's not overkill for home use and it's fine for enterprise use as well, including production servers. In my experience, it does not put a big drain on resource though it depends how you have it configured (number of in-house servers, how the nodes communicate with the...
Quote: Originally Posted by foodguy ... the japanese do seem to be more of a PITA to keep honed. the Germans are so easy. I prefer a fine grit ceramic steel for Japanese knives which makes honing easy. Quote: Originally Posted by Trompe le Monde Actually that's exactly why I like them -- it has enough of a bolster so my middle finger wont dig into the edge, but not the bulky cm wide ones traditional on most...
I administer Symantec Endpoint Protection on a few hundred workstations. It's fine for a home PC and does not consume a lot of CPU or RAM. There are several modules you can install. I would start with just Anti-Virus/Anti-Spyware module and don't initially install the Network Threat Protection or the Proactive Threat Protection. Since it's free for you I would try it out. You can always uninstall later and try something else. Unfortunately, Symantec or any...
A lot of people dn't care for extra weight of traditional Euro knives. The bolster also gets in a way when sharpening on a stone. Current Messermeisters don't have much of a bolster so if you like bolsters I'm surprised you use them. I prefer stamped (or stock reduced or sintered) Japanese knives. It seems a lot of younger food professionals, like Kwilk, prefer them as well. Older chefs may prefer forged German or French knives having been trained at a time...