or Connect

Posts by Dmax

Quote: Originally Posted by HORNS Absolutely. Still, why exclusively a smooth-surfaced steel for Japanese knives? Japanese knives are made from harder steel than the German ones. One of the drawbacks of harder steel is that it's more brittle. A steeling rod with ridges will create very small contact areas with the knife and if you apply any force while steeling you can create small chips. A smooth steel will gently move the edge back into...
I have the ceramic steel linked above and it's good. I plan to get 3 more for people to give to people whom I previously bought Japanese knives for. AFAIK, Manton had the same steel until he dropped it and got a black ceramic one from MAC. Maybe he can comment on which he likes more. I would only use ceramic or smooth steels on Japanese knives. For waterstones, you need something around 1000 grit for general sharpening and something between 4000 to 6000 for...
Quote: Originally Posted by Dburr I've owned German cars for years. I use an indy mechanic. I think finding a good indy mechanic who specializes in german cars is almost a prerequisite in buying one outside of warranty. Some of mechanics even specialize on brands so that would be a determining factor for me when choosing between a used M3, S4 or C36 for example.
You can try one of the Zanella flat front models like Todd or Tim. They don't get narrow in the ankle like Incotex and I've seen them in a range of grays. Some Nordstroms carry them.
My condolences Bob.
Quote: Originally Posted by gdl203 You want a Costco in midtown? Maybe a Walmart in Soho as well? There is K-Mart under Astor Place. I think Walmart wanted to open in one of the boroughs last year but some "community activists" convinced members of the NYC clown council members to keep the city free of this "scourge." Not sure why they opposed Walmart but not K-Mart or Target.
Quote: Originally Posted by Rosenberg godot- what do you think of the chris reeve sebenzas? ive never handled one myself Quote: Originally Posted by Godot Sebenza's are great knives-perfectly made-they are expensive but worth it. If you pull the trigger I'd suggest the small plain version. I like mine so much, I've bought (used) two back ups in case I lose one. Sebenzas are great. I have a BG-42 large classic...
Quote: Originally Posted by foodguy lot of wisdom in that post. especially the last part. one thing that really bothered me when i wrote that knife story was that overnight korin sold out of the knife i liked best, but only in the specific length that I had used. knives are so personal that the length that works for one person might not for another, based on the size of their hands, the lengths of their forearms, how tall they are, whether they're...
Quote: Originally Posted by DarkNWorn The front LEDs look fucking stupid. They're stupid on all the other Audis and they're stupid on this flagship. What's next? Clear tail lights to go with them? Otherwise, it's a bland looking car, just like previous A8s. But having hauled ass on a prior S8 model, I know it'll definitely haul ass. I think the LEDs look great on other Audis like the A4. I'm sure if you solicit some female opinions...
Quote: Originally Posted by GQgeek It doesn't matter. People with apples are probably using bose sound systems.