or Connect

Posts by passingtime

He works in New York which is an "at-will" state so he can quit or they can get rid of him at any point without justification. I suspect that the way it played out is that he said he was going to Canada at which point they accepted as his "intent to resign" and it was all over. So he resigned rather than was laid off.
Ok - I will correct you. Delivery and consistency rate far higher than good alone which will probably get you fired. You are confusing what is required of an intern with what you perceive as being key attributes of a lawyer which is many years in the future at best. At this point standing out for any reason other than your ability to delivery is almost certainly bad, and dressing differently definitely falls into the bad category.
This is absolutely correct. It's all about messaging and projecting an image that matches people's preconceptions. If there isn't a match people are uncomfortable and that leads to doubts and hostility. At this point in your career you want to be seen as low maintenance and approachable so dress exactly as globetrotter describes. In my work I use clothes a lot to elicit particular responses from people depending on what I need from them and how I need them to act - there...
There is a meter by Abbott, Optimum Xceed in the UK or Precision Xtra in the US, that is small and has foil wrapped strips rather than a canister. It's the one that does blood ketones as well. Since the strips are flat and the meter is slim I carry that when I don't want to carry the usual kit.
Smart is hugely over-rated. Unless the job actually calls for you to be smart, and most don't, then it is more of a liability than a benefit. The trick is not to appear high maintenance and banging on about your degree isn't the way to do it. Until you reach PHD level a degree basically proves that you are capable of learning and little else (I say this as an ex-academic - non-trust fund baby division).
I would add try and make it look like you want to work there:* Know what the company does* Have some idea about what the position entails (although a good question is how the vacancy came to exist)* Have to decency to at least pretend that you are gagging to work here.Generally I would say:* Have a folder for notes and questions you want to ask (it makes you look engaged).* Wear at least a jacket and tie. Contrary to what you might read in these forums nobody cares what...
Ok - I see why you want to change. That is really a dead end unless you can get them to train you to do mainframe programming (on the plus side cobol is pretty easy).
If your mainframe skills are at all transferable I would become a contractor, it's a nice little niche and that can be very lucrative. I made a career out going for small niches and it's done me very well over the years.
If the CISA is only getting a 50% success rate there are some stunningly terrible candidates out there. The problem with these sort of certifications is that there is no filter process, anyone can plunk down the cash and have a go, and from the results it looks like that is the case. In the case of professional qualifications like the bar exam or medical board exams there are serious hurdles you have to get over before you get anywhere near the exam so simply comparing...
Getting published is a huge amount of work. You have to chase down publishers, continually re-edit, try and find an agent who will return your calls,...If you don't want to do this, and really it doesn't sound like you do nor would I, then consider electronic publishing which you can do for yourself and has no real costs.