or Connect

Posts by passingtime

Part of the reason the Scots voted against splitting from the UK last time was because the EU was very negative about Scotland joining. With the UK exit there is no longer a relationship with the UK to preserve so I would expect the EU to allow Scotland to apply to join. Becoming a member might take a while though.I cannot see Northern Ireland leaving the UK, the Loyalist majority is far to high.
I think it is likely that it is the North Koreans, but I wouldn't say it was beyond reasonable doubt. I could certainly see a case for it being a criminal group, nothing I have seen so far wasn't already known. That said they could be basing their conclusion on evidence that has not been disclosed, but until it is reasonable doubt remains. The problem is to prove this beyond reasonable doubt really requires the cooperation of the North Koreans and that is unlikely. There...
The data is out there if you work in those circles on either side of the fence. Code samples, IP addresses, attack logs, are all out there from previous attacks. The ones that usually don't get known are the attacks against government assets since they can be more closely held. I ran incident response teams for a variety of companies in my past and it is a small world where a lot gets shared, even by the intelligence agencies.Realistically I would say this is likely North...
Could be North Korea, could just as easily be misdirection. As an attacker you sometimes know that the breach will be discovered so it's vital to have a story that leads trackers away from you. All countries do this to each other, it's just that usually it's done quietly, sometimes you want to leave large muddy footprints to make a point though.
I cannot see the Russians leaving Crimea any time soon, They will use the eastern Ukraine as barter to get acceptance. There is no way that the Ukraine will get accepted into NATO so the Ukraine will have to tread carefully around Russia (which is why Russia can afford not to press on the eastern Ukraine).There is nothing the EU or US could have done about this once Russia decided it was going to act.he only thing that could have happened is that the Ukraine could have...
I think it depends what it actually is. The issue is going to be the connection into the production networks because they would have to be very careful not to kick over servers so there must be some sort of collection software. If the cost is for that development work then the number is feasible. The additional storage and CPU costs to analyse the data would be buried in the NSA Operations budget.
It depends what your definition of useful is. I have run this on a corporate scale in the past.The aim is to find relationships (obvious and non-obvious) and the radius of infection in the event of an issue. What they aren't saying is that it makes fishing expeditions really easy since all you have to do is make the person or group you want to watch the target and the system will give you a pretty graph of who they talk to for whatever depth you want. There is huge...
Certain of the east Europeans are a far bigger problem for the UK as a country than the odd nutter with a machete regardless of his religion.
I'm ok with that since the process and implications are well defined. I'm really not ok with the idea of declaring him an enemy combatant though. That looks like a very slippery slope and has the potential to become a serious erosion of liberty (not to mention unintended consequences).
Really most of the UK doesn't care who goes to these things. The focus is on the ritual and theatre of the procession. I couldn't tell you which dignitaries attended the Queen Mother's funeral and that was a real state funeral. One difference between the UK and USA is that once someone leaves civil office they revert to being a private individual again so Tony Blair is never referred to Prime Minister Tony Blair because he isn't. The same applies to judges, mayors,...