or Connect

Posts by The False Prophet

And I just happen to be in Melbourne until...the 1st of March
I think I ended up buying a few pairs of shoelaces from American Tailors last time. No actual shoes in my size, sadly! As my earlier question probably gave away, I'm down in Melbourne next week. Definitely planning to see Suit Shop, as well as checking out the usual suspects like Buck's, Double Monk, Azzaro. Any new places that I should know about? Also, I'm travelling with the significant other, but I'm sure I can sneak away for lunch or an after-work beer, if any of...
I find American Tailors are frequently standoffish, though the chap there last time warmed to me after I asked about something obscure that they stocked (Maffeis shirts, maybe?). They had a few pairs of braces hidden in a case at the back, with black ends and conservative colours. Something like $130 full price. I should be back in Melbourne on Tuesday so I shall confirm then what they have. On a related note, does anyone know when AT goes on sale? I seem to recall it...
I believe that the idea of the merger would be for Myer to go downmarket, and DJs upmarket. So I suppose at does lessen competition, in one regard. So far as menswear consumers are concerned, I think that this would be an improvement over the current situation: 70% of the same brands, and a lot of the higher end offering at DJs is pretty indifferent (admittedly, I live in Brisbane). I know that I'm too optimistic hoping for a clone of Barney's or Isetan, but surely it's...
I wonder whether department stores participate in a single market, so much as multiple smaller markets for menswear, womenswear, cosmetics, white goods, electronics etc etc. I can't see a merger substantially lessening competition in any individual market, other than maybe cosmetics, about which I know little. FWIW, I will buy almost anything I can from Myer or DJs (in that order) for one reason - ease of returns. If something stops working after a few months, the...
I'd wear a nice tobacco brown linen suit if I had one, but probably not to court...
Just quietly, are American Tailors on sale? And if not, does anyone know when they are?
I believe that most unis offer a straight LL.B. However, because the dozen or so core subjects are designed to be spread over three years at the rate of 2 per semester, doing a straight full-time degree either means taking electives, or advanced core subjects, right from the beginning. I know some older students who have done this, but it would be pretty demanding for a 17 year old, in terms both of content and workload. I did Arts/Law, and would have gone quite mad if I...
^^^this.OP, please forgive my tone if I seemed unkind. I was trying to kill this discussion before it got started. But yes...let's let it die!In other news, how about that heat, Brisbane?
I'm not sure you 'qualify' as a tailor, per se. But to my knowledge, PJT take measurements, advise on cuts and fabrics, and arrange alterations to the finished suits. Bloody lovely suits, at that.