or Connect

Posts by The False Prophet

Thanks gents. I think that they'd be an investment in my sanity: finding shoes that accomodate my absurd instep and aren't too clunky has proven nearly impossible. I seemed to have packed one shirt too few, so I'm wearing a linen blazer over a white polo tonight. Hopefully looking more Pitti Uomo than NCIS...
I've had a lovely few days in Melbourne, in spite of the sometimes frustrating weather. We packed for warmish late summer days, and got 35 one day and cold winds the rest of the time. The GF (that's the girlfriend, not Geoffrey Firmin, to be clear) scored a beautiful leather jacket from Bisonte and some dresses; I've had to be content thus far with Japanese glass wear, a few tins of polish, and some hard-to-find craft beers. Which brings me to the million dollar (well,...
I've bought some nice pieces from Polo over the years, the kind of Anglo-American 'classics' that are actually rather hard to get elsewhere in Australia: madras shorts, say, or a rugby jumper in thick cotton with quilted shoulders (when all of my 'real' rugbys are made from polyester...). I think that the Brisbane store is one of the best in Australia in terms of range. Melbourne does seem to have a lot of suits and Black Label stuff whereas Brissie is mostly (all?)...
Thanks Fox!Have you had sleeve buttons done by Sam before?
A quick question for the Melbournites: is there an alterations tailor who does good sleeve buttonholes? My usual chap is on holidays, I'm coming down tomorrow, and I really want these suits done this week!
I wear Acqua di Parma daily, and have done for years. I don't find that it fades too much over the day, but nor does it project a long way. Which is just how I like it, really.Also, it's pretty cheap nowadays, I think I got 180ml for about $150 at DJs which means you can spray it generously...
I tried on a TF suit at Harrolds not long after they got them in. For a small guy, I found the roped shoulders, wide peak lapels etc etc to be a bit much. This all said, I prefer softer tailoring anyway, so others may well have a different experience. But certainly, getting to try it on was no hassle. They have so much stratospherically expensive street wear there that I don't even think they know wha their customer base is meant to look like anymore...
And I just happen to be in Melbourne until...the 1st of March
I think I ended up buying a few pairs of shoelaces from American Tailors last time. No actual shoes in my size, sadly! As my earlier question probably gave away, I'm down in Melbourne next week. Definitely planning to see Suit Shop, as well as checking out the usual suspects like Buck's, Double Monk, Azzaro. Any new places that I should know about? Also, I'm travelling with the significant other, but I'm sure I can sneak away for lunch or an after-work beer, if any of...
I find American Tailors are frequently standoffish, though the chap there last time warmed to me after I asked about something obscure that they stocked (Maffeis shirts, maybe?). They had a few pairs of braces hidden in a case at the back, with black ends and conservative colours. Something like $130 full price. I should be back in Melbourne on Tuesday so I shall confirm then what they have. On a related note, does anyone know when AT goes on sale? I seem to recall it...