or Connect

Posts by sysdoc

Quote: Originally Posted by Roikins That's interesting to know... any special considerations then when I decide to polish the shoes because of that waxy layer? I've worn it a few times for break-in, but I figured I'll polish it up when the weather starts getting bad around here. The bad news first You will never be able to polish these shoes to the same shine as proper grain leather, and you will never see the depth created by repeated...
Quote: Originally Posted by RIDER They are not corrected grain. Quote: Originally Posted by RIDER Oh, and Bengal-Stripe, this is just a gentlemanly disagreement over a simple term...I respect your knowledge a great deal....I just don't like Sysdocs' snotty reply. We know it takes greatness to admit one was wrong and to apologize to the person whose words were prematurely put into question. Why not attack the person...
Thanks Bengal-Stripe. Why did I not say "these shoes suck"? ... Because I have the same pair. I had a major discussion with C&J officials at the factory about what they call "nubuck" and thought they were alright for bad weather. However, once I tried polishing them I had to learn that this "nubuck" does not react like normal grain leather. It reacts 100% like grain corrected leather. You apply polish to a layer of artificial material and not to the actual leather. FWIW...
Quote: Originally Posted by Roikins Some C&J Tetburys I ordered from PLAL a few weeks ago and had forwarded on to my hotel while I was traveling... wish I had photos of my JL Chapels, but they're at home on the back-up drive: Tetbury in Dark Brown Antique Nubuck Those are corrected grain, I'm afraid.
Quote: Originally Posted by RJman Jermyn II. If you put a gun to my head. The Vale and the Chapel are symptomatic of Lobb's new overdesign philosophy. +1 I used to like the Vale and Chapel at first, but I have totally gone off them now. I think that JL just overuses the 8000 last these days and IMO not every model looks good on it. I am still dreaming of a Jermyn III on the 1105 last. Last time I was in London I tried on a Jermyn II in...
Hey guys, nobody has to subscribe to anything I write here whatsoever. If you cannot follow my reasoning because you got your knickers in a twist over something I stated in the past that your sensitive soul was not able to stomach, then I cannot help it. I have not changed my opinion and I think that shoe is frankensteinoid. None of the comments from above have a good excuse for the bulges and I am a bit scared by the evident lack of technical understanding in the forum...
I am surprised that nobody else has noticed it, and Matt, I am sorry to spoil the fun, but this pair of shoes is badly flawed! Check this out: Matt's shoe has two nasty bulges that are not supposed to be there, warping and destroying its intended shape. The display shoe on the right shows how it ought to look. The welt should be equally visible all along until it reaches the waist, because otherwise you are actually standing on the welt. I am sure that our forum...
Nice picture you got of the C&J Albany ... looks strangely familiar! I got that pair in a shop in London (I think) and this is the way you have to go about finding e.g. the Albany, or the Hanover or all the other models C&J offers to retailers without making them public (for reasons best and only known to a few in Northampton): Get a list of C&J retailers and go call them. It's a pain, but that's the way to go. You might be surprised about what is actually available in...
Quote: Originally Posted by stilmacher I think I may well get one pair made for a trial. So that means you have no first hand experience just yet, right? Quote: Originally Posted by stilmacher I am uncertain there is a maker who offers a better quality shoe at a better price. Other than Corthay Kleemann is the only bespoke maker I have heard of who controlls the whole process himself. I am not picking a fight,...
Quote: Originally Posted by Clark You're welcome! Me and my brother also bought the Swansea on the 341 last as a 60th birthday present for my father. It is a derby brogue in dark brown with Dainite sole. Also very nice and sleak, despite having the slightly clunkier rubber sole. The Chalfont is on the 324 last according to the C&J catalogue though, but it does have the same medallion. /C Ooops! Thanks for pointing that out. I faintly...