or Connect

Posts by negusnegas

I think by default discrimination is something that the average white male has a very difficult time associating with. I think a lot of it is subconscious and institutionalized, but some of it is overt and quite obvious if you pay a little bit of attention. Not to say this is one instance, but being young and black is in general not something that results in the best service from a lot of high end establishments. Ironically of course, minorities and especially black people...
It started today. Founding Member sale that is.
this ^
It might just be me, but it seems the police presence at Tea Party rallies seems to be much smaller than at OWS.
By the way, I am all for empowering the small business owners that truly are the background of any functioning capitalistic system, but I thoroughly object to the notion that the current unemployment levels are a result of increased regulation. I mean that's just bullshit. The recession exacerbated an already terrible situation. The US over the last 30 years has become a credit economy, because income growth has stagnated and with each recession the ranks of the fully...
Piobaire, I think all of those things would make sense if companies didn't at the same time continue to increase executive compensation. I do agree with you that we are in a negative feedback loop, but I think the argument about government interference being a large driver in business decision making vis a vis hiring and expansion has not been borne out in data. I am not sure where you got the impression in your last sentence from, but that is not at all my position. In...
Speedy my question this, given that influence is concentrated at the very top of the economic order . How do you ensure that your truly open market isn't distorted and manipulated even further. If you remove all regulation, how do you ensure a different outcome without first creating an even playing field. Would you dismantle large conglomerates?
Artisan Fan I think you must be aware of your selection bias, but at some point in time choose to ignore it, but just from public relations standpoint you have to know that the Cato Institute is one of the more controversial think tanks. "The Cato Institute is a libertarian think tank headquartered in Washington, D.C. It was founded in 1977 by Edward H. Crane, who remains president and CEO, and Charles Koch, chairman of the board and chief executive officer of the...
Artisan Fan not to be dismissive of your study and I will certainly take a deeper look into it, but it was published by the Cato Institute which does not have the best rep. Especially, when it comes to research bias. Economics and Statistics are subject to a great deal of distortion and manipulation. As an aside, on first glance this study is about state income tax and not federal income tax.
I am not in any drum circle and I think blaming the recent recession American and overall underemployment issue on taxation and regulation is being intellectually dishonest. First of all, there has been absolutely no empirical research to prove the business generation hypothesis that connects taxation and growth. In fact, if you look at the last couple of years you will see that profitability across the board has been highest in a very long time and that employment has...