or Connect

Posts by erictheobscure

sometimes you're disingenuous cite opinion polls about Muslim views in a particular country (Afghanistan); then talk about all Muslims; then say, "haha differences across the Muslim world not that important stop complaining about generalizations" You love opinion polls that much? Here you...
No.We're talking about a religion that encompasses a quarter of the human population right now. Even if that religion has a problem with extremism and fundamentalism manifesting itself in political ways, talking about that religion is nothing like understanding a pretend sociopath killer.
You've either asserted or implied positions like "understanding something bad is in some way an excuse for that bad thing" or "don't try to understand--just say 'fuck him' to assert your moral clarity." Those are harmful things to believe. Not because we need more internet sleuths or armchair psychologists, but because we need broad, public support for smart research & policymaking--the kind that doesn't just say "OMG CRAZY EVIL IS CRAZY EVIL WHAT ARE YOU GONNA DO" but...
I'm not an expert--on terrorism or law enforcement. As a lay citizen, yes, I'd agree that right now, Islamic fundamentalism poses the most serious threat to American citizens' lives via terrorist attacks. In this provisional agreement, I am taking a less "firm position" once again. I do so for two related reasons: 1) I don't pretend to be an expert on whatever I think; when I think that I might possibly be a distortion, i'd prefer not to make sweeping declarations that...
^ well, it didn't specify which George Washington. Could've just been a random buffoon with that name.
pretty sure i don't have cirrhosis time to drink a six pack
says the guy who published a 212-page book that's currently ranked #5,320,275 in book sales on Amazon
Oh fuck off. I don't have any more time for your bullshit*. Have fun with your circlejerk with wojt and Kai.* - everyone knows that Islamic extremism leading to violence is a problem. It's a problem that needs to be handled effectively. That's not your "truth." Your "truth" is: it's true that Muslim terrorism is the biggest, hugest, scariest problem if a) we don't define any parameters and keep chanting the mantra or b) we keep tinkering with the parameters in any which...
http://gothamist.com/2016/06/14/hood_guy_with_a_gun.php
You started with this:That's clearly and unambiguously a claim (or yet another argument by assertion) about the number of attacks. You didn't specify where or when, of course, but both shah and I presented some numbers that refute your blanket claim, at least in the context of recent U.S. history. Then you moved on to a claim about global networks. That's what counts. And then, finally you added, "perhaps I should have noted that the scope of those attacks is part of my...