or Connect

Posts by erictheobscure

^ lol, great comic KaiKaiKai! [[SPOILER]]
quick response because I'm off to do something actually pleasant: 1) "the bad results of my actions weren't inevitable so i'm morally/ethically/politically off the hook!" is a stupid argument 2) alienating a minority population is bad politics. this is especially true when a) what we're talking about is a religious minority in this country and b) America describes itself *foundationally* as a country established on religious freedom. but this is also true in...
Thank you for this characteristically thoughtful and helpful contribution. [[SPOILER]]
^ I know that particular question is a clusterfuck (again, one above my paygrade). But the complicating factors seem to be:- we're dealing with a refugee crisis that derives from a destabilization of the region--a destabilization that this country has had a partial but significant role in fostering. Not sure how (morally but also politically) we can do something like invade Iraq (+ make mistakes in Libya and Syria) and then disavow responsibility- I'm not sure how we...
Sheezus.
You have it the other way around. I study an older time period in which the Christian v. Muslim thing was a central part of cultural identity. It's actually frustrating for me to see a deeply familiar pattern repeat itself, mutatis mutandis, over and over again. [[SPOILER]]The question is above my paygrade--especially when it comes to foreign relations. But here's a low-level answer, one that doesn't just derive from my experiences but that I might actually be able to...
I'm very sorry to have challenged your understanding of yourself as a kind Christian with only love and patriotism in his heart. I now see the folly of my ways and the unassailability of your logic. To wit:I don't hate all Japs. I just know some of them are bad and it's impossible to tell which ones because by god they all look alike. So we should lovingly and without hate send them all to camps.Very crucial distinction. I'm sure all the Japs Muslims recognize the...
did you skip that day in third or fourth grade when the teacher venn diagrams? or does your personal history of dumbassery stretch back that far into your youth?
Source?
It's not "my" social experiment, you mouthbreather. I'm not some kind of left-leaning mastermind* who shapes world religions; I'm talking about large scale aims that we all play a tiny part in advancing. Broadly speaking, these aims are: 1) continue to argue that one major world religion--one that encompasses about a quarter of the human population--is bad. And inexorably bad. 2) spur policies, action, and conversations that promote favorable changes, both within Muslim...