or Connect

Posts by erictheobscure

It doesn't take a right-wing Sherlock (or a convenient brown spokesperson!) to prove that large swaths of the Muslim world are suffering from problems of fundamentalism and of extremism. The question (again, that's beyond my pay grade--and yours too!) is how best to deal with that problem at home and abroad. Suited keeps stroking his patriotism boner by arguing persuasively declaring that we have to close our borders to Muslims! Let's just put aside the fact that...
it's the christian thing to do [[SPOILER]]
If I had to guess, I'd say he's a perfectly friendly guy who likes wearing Hawaiian shirts and drinking beers in the back yard IRL but gets agitated when confronting the never-ending assholery in this thread. [[SPOILER]]
^ lol, great comic KaiKaiKai! [[SPOILER]]
quick response because I'm off to do something actually pleasant: 1) "the bad results of my actions weren't inevitable so i'm morally/ethically/politically off the hook!" is a stupid argument 2) alienating a minority population is bad politics. this is especially true when a) what we're talking about is a religious minority in this country and b) America describes itself *foundationally* as a country established on religious freedom. but this is also true in...
Thank you for this characteristically thoughtful and helpful contribution. [[SPOILER]]
^ I know that particular question is a clusterfuck (again, one above my paygrade). But the complicating factors seem to be:- we're dealing with a refugee crisis that derives from a destabilization of the region--a destabilization that this country has had a partial but significant role in fostering. Not sure how (morally but also politically) we can do something like invade Iraq (+ make mistakes in Libya and Syria) and then disavow responsibility- I'm not sure how we...
Sheezus.
You have it the other way around. I study an older time period in which the Christian v. Muslim thing was a central part of cultural identity. It's actually frustrating for me to see a deeply familiar pattern repeat itself, mutatis mutandis, over and over again. [[SPOILER]]The question is above my paygrade--especially when it comes to foreign relations. But here's a low-level answer, one that doesn't just derive from my experiences but that I might actually be able to...