or Connect

Posts by Shoe-nut

This machine was a great attraction for the kids and mothers concerned about good fitting shoes for their children. We regarded it as a toy and would ask to keep the x-rays on so we could watch our toes wiggle. Our shoe salesman would always say no that we shouldn't keep it on too long.
Quote: Originally Posted by Tomasso Did he have a pistol to your head? Seriously, the situation was entirely of your making, you could have simply declined to try on the shoes. I could have and indeed told him that I thought it would be a waste of time. The pitch didn't come until later. There would have been no way I could have anticipated this type of event given the store I was in. I must remember from now on not to get involved and let...
My final thoughts on this experience I would sum-up thusly---what has shoe salesmanship degenerated into? I can remember in the 50's going out to the Buster Brown Shoe Store where the salesman made some commitment to shoe fit. He would take your old shoes off, bend the new ones in half, and then put them on your foot and lace "˜em up. He then would run his hands over your feet to see if the shoe fitted according to his expertise in this matter. At the time they also had an...
Quote: Originally Posted by von Rothbart I want to clarify that the heading is extremely misleading and untrue. The OP was referring to a shoe saleman at a NM. I find the store manager and staffs at the Lobb Madison Ave. store to be very helpful and knowledgeable, they know how different lasts and models fit and don't push for ones that don't fit properly. Same can be said about the Jermyn St. store. I suspect they are on salary, not...
Quote: Originally Posted by Edward Appleby It's irritating, sure, but what do you want, they make their money off of commissions. Also, he was a NM salesman, not Lobb, right? Yes, a NM salesman (don't remember his name) and I understand his need but is it any wonder people wind up with poorly fitted shoes. Your the one that suffers not him.
Last Saturday I went into my local Neiman Marcus Store to check out the shoes. They actually had a rather nice selection of Lobbs more than I have ever seen in one place in quite some time. One of the sales reps saw me lingering on the Lobbs so he stepped up to offer his help. I told him up front that they were not going to fit as I have a rather narrow foot but this did not deter him but only motivated him to say that "If you don't try them on how would you know?" OK...
Quote: Originally Posted by norcaltransplant Ralph Lauren Purple Label Shoe Trunk Show aka Edward Green Trunk Show March 8-March 10, 2007 444 North Rodeo Drive Beverly Hills, CA I won't be attending, but I thought I should post as a courtesy to the LA forum members. Thanks for posting I think I will go check it out.
Looks to me that you already have a handle on it. I don't see how you can go wrong with the choices you have listed. Buying quality is never a bad decision.
Quote: Originally Posted by well-kept They're a unique piece of shoe-making history. I own a pair of vintage Cleverley's made by George Cleverley's hands. Can't even compare them to anything commonly available. It is interesting that you mention that as I came across a pair of shoes some 20 years ago that were of incredible quality from around WW2. This is before I had any real shoe knowledge and so didn't fully comprehend what was in front...
I am stunned at the prices some used shoes are bringing on ebay. Case in point a used pair N. Tuczek bespoke shoes going for an astounding $711.01. Can you believe it!!!