or Connect

Posts by academe

Agreed; I really like the styling on the Transocean, too. Any thoughts on the new bi-compax version of the Transocean recently discussed on Hodinkee?It even has a neat officer's-style caseback:
Dino - understood. I supposes at AP's level of watchmaking, it's something I would have expected. It's admittedly a relative value judgement on my part...
Lovely watches all.Do you know if the AP Jules Audemars Chrono that you tried was an integrated chronograph or a modular chronograph? I love APs (have a RO Dualtime and have long coveted the Jules Audemars Extra Thing, ROO Diver and RO Jumbo), but my longstanding quibble with them is that they tend to use modular chronograph movements for their Offshore and Jules Audemars collections. Last I looked the Jules Audemars chrono had a modular movement; in fact that looks like a...
Dopey: Fully agree with you on this one. I love micro-rotors and wish they were more common. Here's the Parmigiani Tonda 1950 movement (calibre PF700):And the venerable Patek 240:Pure sex!
All this RO talk had me pulling out mine. The Reverso has been grabbing more wrist time recently, so it was nice to get this one out of the box again. Foo - nice to hear about the 2fer. Both great choices.
Out for a walk this Sunday at the Old Course.
Stitchy: Is that a 5123 at the bottom? I love the dial. Not sure about the caseback and lugs...They need to develop a bigger hand-wound movement!
Belligro: Harsh post. I understand your sentiments about Patek pricing, mine are not so different... However, I suppose I differ from you in that I have always thought, when I have seen the 5227 and 5296 in the metal, that they were very elegant and finely finished. Dimensions for the case and dial, and overall sense of balance, I have thought are excellent. When worn on the wrist, despite their 37-38mm size, they have a great wrist presence. Also movement finishing is...
On the subject of shaped movements, thought this one might strike your fancy; ref 5200:My thumbs get sore thinking of winding that beautiful 8 days movement.
I love the Fifty Fathoms. Always felt that it was underrated relative to the Subs and other higher-profile luxury divers. That grey smoky dial is neat.