or Connect

Posts by academe

There was a point made by a while back about the difference between finish quality and degree of embellishment or decoration. I haven't seen the IWC CF3 that Belligro referenced earlier in the metal, but from what I understand the finish quality for IWCs may be good, but movements may not always be decorated (particularly those behind a solid case back). Of course, my comment about finish quality relies heavily on some of the reviews of Walt Odets and other of historic...
Triple post?!
Seconded; I appreciate the passionate debate, but hope the main actors can dial it backdown a bit. Would be nice to keep TWAT a bit less combative that some of the other threads at SF...
Nearest pics to hand; my wife's Jules Audemars:Edit: Here's the dial!
aleksandr would you consider the JLC Master Ultra Thin? They have a new 38.5mm model which I really like: A bit dressier than the Master Control, but a really beautiful watch. I really like their Ultra Thin case; proportions and shape are elegant and fit nicely to the wrist. I'm looking forward to trying this one on in the metal; I've tried on a number of watches in this series, including the 40mm predecessor and the Ultra Thin Moon, and am a big fan. I think the...
I don't think watch prices will continue to rise as exponentially as in the past few years. My friends in the watch business in Singapore and Hong Kong have remarked at how the slow down in the Chinese economy have really hurt them...
Sure; but I was trying to reference watches that I might conceivably own in my life!
I think you nailed it here; one really needs to separate the product from the marketing. I think IWC still makes great watches; in fact, as you have said, one could argue they are in fact making far far better watches today than they did in the past, and kudos to them for becoming a true manufacture and upping their game. There is no doubt that they make great watches. However, as you have also noted, what has gotten older IWC collectors' & loyalists' nose out of joint is...
Between the IWC Portuguese Chrono and the JLC Master Chrono, I would personally go for the JLC, especially if you were planning on dressing up the watch. It's definitely the more formal of the two, and has a more refined and technically advanced movement. That said, it might also be worth trying on the Portuguese Chronograph Classic, if you like the Portuguese styling and the bi-compax layout: I tend to prefer bi-compax chronographs because the dial seems less cluttered...
Where have you gotten that impression? The IWC Portuguese Chrono is a modern classic. The issues around IWC discussed here on this forum stem, I suppose, from what many see as price inflation in many of the newer models, and a shift towards marketing themselves to the nouveau riche; their newer watches have gotten bigger and more blingy, and lost some of their former design integrity in the process. But that's not to say they don't make a good product...