or Connect

Posts by academe

But my wife has a seriously small wrist. I think the case size of her AP is under 30mm (26mm?). Much as I would like to try, there's no way I could pull it off!
....And just because I mentioned it, my wife's Jules Audemars Small Seconds: Finishing on the hand-wound calibre is lovely: Sadly it doesn't get much wrist time because it's too dressy for my wife's casual office place. I think she wants a Datejust for her daily wearer. I often find myself wishing that my wrist was small enough so I could borrow her watch.
We're a funny bunch aren't we? Objectively, I think that Journe, PP and Ferrier watches are beautiful watches, but I suppose what I was getting at is that I didn't like them enough to consider them as seriously as some of the other watches that I'm looking at. I just don't like them enough to want one, usually because of a minor design detail that just throws things off for me.For the Journes, the movement detailing and architecture are really like works of art, the dials...
Yes; that's the one. I understand that not all watches really appeal, even if - objectively - you might appreciate them. For example, the FP Journes don't really do it for me, nor do PP (time-only) Calatravas or Laurent Ferrier watches, though I understand how well crafted they are. The Jules Audemars self-winding watches really have to been seen in person to be appreciated. Even then, they just might not resonate.
Newcomer, just a quick thought: I know that it's got a bit more than 3 hands (i.e. 3 hands+date function), but what about a Jules Audemars Selfwinding? It has a nicely balanced 39mm case. Even though it's not an ultra-thin, it does have a slim profile (case height of only 9mm), a wonderfully decorated calibre 3120, and is really beautifully finished. The self-winding is probably the most underrated of the Jules Audemars collection, as it tends to get eclipsed by the...
You know I think I knew that. Was just having a momentary brain lapse. In any case, the MUT Moon and Grande MUT would be the two on my list.
Just a quick note before I jet home; while not in the same league as AP, VC, AL&S, FP Journe or PP, I think the JLC ultra-thins are also beautiful watches. I wonder - if you're not ready to commit $20K to a VC or FP Journe - it might be possible to pick-up a JLC to see how you take to an ultra-thin 2 or 3 hander? I like them enough that I would consider buying one even if I had a Lange, AP or VC in the stable...
To be honest, it wasn't very in-depth. Mostly others indicating how much the liked the VC you posted, and me being a tad contrary and saying how much I liked the parallel Langes (e.g. Saxonia, 1815). But let's not re-hash that here because (despite what I may have said earlier) the VC is a beautiful watch and is still on my wish list.I'm a similar situation to you; in a world full of big watches, complicated watches and big+complicated watches (not that I don't like 'em!)...
Both fantastic watches (as I think we've discussed elsewhere in TWAT?). The rose gold has a kind of old world chic to it; the grey dial is very distinct and handsome (given that many other dress watches tend to have silvered/white dials or black ones). I can see the lure of trading in one of your existing watches to fund this purchase. What else do you have in your collection and how does this stack relative to your other watches? For example, if you have another dress...
The muscularity of the new watch...suits you.