or Connect

Posts by academe

Where have you gotten that impression? The IWC Portuguese Chrono is a modern classic. The issues around IWC discussed here on this forum stem, I suppose, from what many see as price inflation in many of the newer models, and a shift towards marketing themselves to the nouveau riche; their newer watches have gotten bigger and more blingy, and lost some of their former design integrity in the process. But that's not to say they don't make a good product...
Re-quoted for greatness. Mind blown.
I think the differences of opinion on Langes among say Moo, Dino and I fall within the range of subjectivity. The concerns Moo/Dino may have with respect to sub-dial placement, font choice, etc are only "problems" if they bother you aesthetically; I don't have them. Live and let live.... And I was joking with that heresy comment.
Speaking of the 1815 Chronograph, this one blew me away when I last tried it on:
Of the Langes, my favourites are the Lange 1, Up/Down, 1815 Chronograph and 1815 38.5mm. If funds allowed, I would almost certainly buy a Lange 1. Perhaps the 1815 Chronograph if I was particular fortunate with investments. What I like so much about the 1815 range is that they very nicely walk the line between formal and "smart casual" (as they say here in the UK); they can be dressed up or down relatively easily and hence are a bit more flexible than the more austere...
Heresy!
Agreed re: Breitling. The Navitimer is a real classic, and the Transocean series is a nice reinterpretation of the mid-twentieth century chronos that made their name. Kudos to them for becoming a full manufacture, too.
Dudes need to chill-out. As the original poster of the crappy Lange pic, I'll come out and say that I wasn't offended by what RFX45 wrote and didn't take the Portofino comparison badly. I only posted the stock photo because I wasn't aware that Lange had released any "in the metal" shots of the new Dual Time; from the style of photography I take it you got your photos from Watchprosite? Will have to go over there and check out the reviews.
The Lange studio pics look "plasticky" compared to real-life photos. I suppose my impression of the new 38.5mm Dual Time came from seeing the older model in the metal, where it looked much more like this:I suppose I do see the design similarities with the Portofino, though the Patek Dual Time or JLC Master Hometime were what first came to mind because of the dial layout.
The new 38.5mm Saxon is pretty sweet. I like the reduced case size and slightly longer railway track markers; definitely more dial presence than the first iteration:I tried on the slightly larger 40mm version earlier this year and liked it very much...I even liked the full-sized rotor (though Lange purists will always favour the hand-wounds or micro-rotor calibres).