or Connect

Posts by academe

I've just been talking about Patek Calatravas with my dad, who is considering getting one. He particularly likes the 5296 with sector dial: ...Rather than opting for the plainer dialled version, he likes the "sportiness" of the sector dial (if a Calatrava can ever be thought of as "sporty"), which makes it that little bit more flexible when it comes to more casual dress. I've also been intrigued by the 5227 (photos from Hodinkee) with a concealed officer's or hunter's...
Play of light an shadow.
Reverso today.
Beautiful. All you need now is a Lange!
Mimo I really like the new Oyster and also have a newfound appreciation for the Datejust. My wife just bought a classic champagne-dialled Datejust with baton markers, on a jubilee bracelet. Despite all the negative comments I've read here about PCLs and the jubilee bracelet, I actually really like them both on her watch. There's a reason some watches (like the Oyster and Datejust) are classics, and been in continuous production for so long. Rolex have gotten the balance...
Wearing this one today.
Well-spotted! My TOPO is one of my go-to bags for short hauls.
7 hours on the train to Milton Keynes for a meeting. Never tire of how the case of my RO reflects light and shadow.
Back on the wrist after a few weeks away. Feels like coming home...
To me, the Saxonia Thin felt in some respects almost like the Platonic ideal of a watch, but didn't have the same degree of warmth as the 1815. I was less concerned about things like the movement size relative to the size of the case (as the discrepancy is not as large as for the time only Saxonia, some of the PP Caletravas, or VC Patrimonys). Also, at least in my own subjective view and worn on my own wrist, the watch didn't look or feel dinner-plate like (nor did the...