or Connect

Posts by Aureus

Quote: Originally Posted by LabelKing I think the 928 looks better, and it was the fastest production car sold for a while. Yeah but owning a 928 is basically like punching a hole in your bank account and watching the money pour out.
Quote: Originally Posted by billiebob You better be high if you are considering a porsche 944. They were great cars, but even small repairs like a water pump are expensive. I'm well aware of the 944's problems. However any of the 'enthusiast' selections can easily get you negative very quickly if something goes wrong. Hence why they're enthusiast selections. And uh, the water pump on a 944 isn't really a 'small repair.' If it goes bad on you...
Quote: Originally Posted by Xericx NO. At the $3,000 price level you are likely to get a beater with MANY miles in which you have to do maintenance which would cost more than a $5-7k car. How has no one else called you out on this? You think somehow you're going to need to spend 2-4k in maintenance/repair on a car over a short period? How exactly do you figure a 3k car is going to warrant 4k in maintenance? Do you have any experience with cheap...
Given the large amount of disdain in this thread for the wearing of school rings in a workplace enviorment I'm curious as to what kind of feelings you would have about someone who would wear a simple oval gold signet masonic ring. I don't really intend to change my habits but knowing the general internal reaction of others would probably be helpful.
Quote: Originally Posted by LabelKing American market Mercedes cars rarely have a manual unless they're a '60s car. However, there are a few European grey-market import cars which have a stick. They also have the advantage of a larger engine due to the lack of emissions requirements in Europe. We can thank Nader for that. The Pagoda Mercedes, while hardly "cheap", are more easily found with a stick. A diesel Mercedes-Benz if maintained well, does...
I like the mercedes because it looks good, has a good interior and will last for a million miles. As alternatives I'm trying to find some sort of coupe with a manual. Defintely on the sportier side of things.
So my old Volvo 740 decided to become a gross polluter and the Imperial Republik of Kalifornia will be coughing out a grand if I take it off the road. So thats sort of a no brainer. And my 94 540i got rear-ended while it was parked while I was out in Vegas and it is most likely a complete total. So I'm looking for a cheap, 'cool', old car with some reliability. Like around 2500 or so. First thing I thought of was a Mercedes 300CD or 300 Turbo Diesel sedan. But I'm...
Quote: Originally Posted by vvoc well theres no better way to get comfortable with it than practice lol...i guess i have to play it by ear? just wanted to know the type of places you wear dress shoes to casually (not work or something) Parties, Around the house, the Cigar shop, movies, restaurants, basically wherever. Hell I've skated to class in my dress shoes (from the Stacy Adams to the Crockett and Jones, yes heresy I'm sure. But leather...
Quote: Originally Posted by j I know, but in most shoes I can use the edges of my foot for a much less awkward position and better control, and AFAIK most race drivers do the same. I "heel-toe" every downshift by habit now, no matter what I'm wearing, and Speedcats are the hardest of all. Race cars also have next to no space between the pedals. It is likely the spacing of your pedals, not the shoes, that is giving you the trouble. The amount...
Quote: Originally Posted by j Unfortunately, Speedcats are awful for driving in, and I wear a size 11 in them. I can't imagine trying to heel/toe in a smaller size. The sole is so narrow. Also, anything but slim jeans pretty much dwarf them. Try rotating your foot a bit so that you're not just using the width of the sole. The issue for you can be the spacing of the pedals or the width of your shoe. Its called heel-toe because you could...