or Connect

Posts by comrade

You make a lot of broad generalizations which are open to correction. For example, the "counter culture" phenomenon was not in the 50s, but a decade later. Your explanation for the revival of hat wearing in the 90s is patently inadequate. "The mens' shag styles of the 70's and super-coiffed, mullets and poofy hot combings of the 80's simply could not survive the wearing of a hat. By the 90's, men were back to tight trimmings and regular cuts and hats began to sneak...
Little has changed to make hats less worthwhile except the silly Vietnam-era cultural attitude towards them as being fusty. Actually the attitude began before the Vietnam- era. By the 50s younger men were increasingly going hatless .
Looks like you're holding your breath. Does the suit fit that close? Also, back is terrible
The 30s. Look at the woman's outfit.
Probably H & H. However the last lot I purchased were probably 10 years ago. I have no idea whether the very decent quality has been maintained. I do not wear dress shirts regularly so mine last a long time. I usually pick up H &K in their semi annual sales. Next one post Xmas.
"I have a vietnamese-made pith helmet (but I can't remember where I got it). I wear it in the back yard and sometimes on photo excursions. If you use it properly, which is to say soak the helmet in water for 15-30 minutes to let the pith absorb as much water as possible, then it will be an utter revelation. The water evaporating from the pith lowers the temperature of your head by quite a bit. It's like wearing an air conditioner on your head. I know they look peculiar,...
absolutely !
Was in London for a week. Got back yesterday. CT and H & H always seem to be on sale. H & H shirts quite decent for the price. Also check out Cordings for very English "country" patterns and business dress shirts- not slim.
Sales seem to occur earlier and earlier. So it is possible that there may be a "pre-sale" for customers on the store's list or even items on sale before Christmas proper. Call the stores. They'll tell you. Men's tailored clothing is very competitive since so few men wear it regularly these days.
For a decent selection of High-end RTW suits in NYC, which go on sale seasonally, check out: Paul Stuart, Berdorff Goodman, Saks. Barney's has become more of a freak show than a vendor of adult tailored clothing To lesser extent so has Saks and Bergdorf., A little shop that sells elegant high-end Italian tailoring is Davide Cenci on Madison and 79th. My only quarrel with them is their shoulders are too buit-up for me Brooks Bros- You might like their best line....