or Connect

Posts by tomrakewell

Shoes on virgin voyage today (regulars will now what they are, others may view this as a quiz)
I wouldn't go anywhere near anything below the Loake 1880 line. 1880s IMO have a decent construction with generally good leather quality. You will have to judge the fit yourself, but at £80 - if you like the deign - these are a no brainer.
These are Charles Tyrwhitt (presumably made by Loake). Grabbed them at a *very* good price point in their outlet store.
Today:
It seems that Grenson has some fully Northampton-made shoes on offer again. Grenson one (or G1) are made in their factory according to their web site. They are open channel and allegedly based on some 40-year old last designs. More interestingly, Grenson Zero features some closed-channel soles. These are also fully made in the English factory. I'm not going to test the waters at this point in time, but would be curious to read a review by someone who has ...
Joe Caseley Hayford "Mentor" by Cheaney
In my opinion, the Cheaney Imperials are quite good value for money, especially if purchased at a discount. That said, you should not expect the quality to be in the league of G&G. The leathers are not as supple and the finishing is inferior. I would regard the width as normal, but with a slightly higher instep.
Cheaney Imperial
Another pair of G&Gs
They were not overly roomy when I first got them. Have enough toe space and actually fit snugly.