or Connect

Posts by Quatsch

I really liked it. I was concerned going in about whatever they added to stretch this, but so far I'm completely fine with it. I loved the opening backstory and the battle between the dwarves & orcs outside Moria, despite the liberty they took with the Thorin/Azog story. Really liked Richard Armitage as Thorin. Helps to be a Tolkien fan going into this, as there are lots of place-name references that are bound to sound cheesy if you don't know whats being talked about.
With all the bord talk, I got a bottle - a Bordeaux Superieur, Château Lescalle Cuvée Emmanuel Tessandier 2009. Anybody had this? I ended up delaying drinking that Guillemot Savigny till last night - poured a glass on Sunday and then stuck the cork back in and left it. It was interesting - not too much of the typical Savigny earth, but I don't know much about this particular vineyard(Les Serpentieres.) It was really bright and crunchy red fruit along the lines of...
Just popped the cork on this and can't wait to tear into it later. It won the toss-up against a '09 Prudhon St Aubin rouge 1er cru. This will be the first 2010 red burg I've tasted, I think.
Tasted a 2010 Beaucastel tonight - I dig it. I really dig it.
Has there really been a Burgundy discussion going on for two pages with no mention of brett? Yikes! I don't mind a decent bit of brett in some wines, but the most common faults I've experienced in red Burgundy are excessive brett and balance issues in a less than stellar year. The oldest red Burgs I've had are around the 1996 mark, so I can't comment much on the age debate, but I think there are just so many Burgundies that don't come close to justifying the price. A...
Some of the Ridge Zinfandels with 10+ years on them are nice. I had a '02(?) Geyserville a while back that was quite good.
That's a hell of a wine for the price. This along with Jean Paul Brun's Côte de Brouilly and LaPierre and Foillard are great examples of how good a wine Bojo can be.We had a pretty interesting tasting experiment the other night. Playing around with the idea of finishing Chardonnay in tank after 10-14 months in barrel to induce yeast autolysis, we consulted Jeffrey Patterson's results. Starting, I think, in 2007, he's been doing six months in tank following barrel time for...
Sorry, could have worded that in a manner that sounded a little more like "hey here's a piece of potentially useful info." I don't have hard info but, my personal observation is that opened red wine will go acetic long before it oxidizes. Last week we were packing and shipping orders for mailing list customers and one thing we have to do with each bottle we grab is to dig our thumbs down onto the foil cap, because we get a very small incidence of the bottling line missing...
The biggest issue in spoilage for red wines isn't oxidation, it's the increase in volatile acidity, which cold storage slows. Leads to vinegar-like tastes.Primarily caused by acetic bacteria.
best of the bigger producers, IMO. A little lean for my tastes, but good. Has a touch of that character in the '96 Clos St Hildaire that I had a few weeks ago that reminded me so much of Chablis - ie chalk soil. Edit: Ooops, this was meant to be a photo of the Billecart-Salmon Brut. Bottle looks similar! Screaming deal - K&L has like five vintages of this at $18-20. Structured and classic, with plenty of savory and earthy goodness. Still tastes young, though I don't...