or Connect

Posts by tlmusic

UK LP 1st pressings! Recently acquired: Pink Floyd Meddle--1st press Harvest Who Who's next--1st press Track Pink Floyd DSOTM--early press Harvest (kills the Mofi) Yes The Yes Album--1st press Atlantic Plum Yes Fragile--1st press Atlantic Plum CSNY Deja Vu--1st press Atlantic Plum Led Zeppelin IV--1st matrix, 2nd press labels These absolutely top any other versions I've ever heard--including recent "audiophile" releases. (not even close, according to my...
I have always wondered why Sherman felt it was necessary to destroy Atlanta. My parents have a 1960s Encylopedia Britannica which claims it was done to sway public opinion and assure Lincoln of reelection. (I don't have the book handy to cite the exact reference.) Anyway, here's the letter he sent to the Mayor of Atlanta right before he burned the city: HEADQUARTERS MILITARY DIVISION OF THE MISSISSIPPI, IN THE FIELD, ATLANTA, GEORGIA September 12, 1864 JAMES M....
Quote: Originally Posted by globetrotter I like southern culture. but really, the south had a whole system and economy based on slavery - which is a horrible thing. I think that the people of the south have to realize this, and stop trying to whitewash it over. This is an interesting assertion. According to the 1860 census-- Of all 8,289,782 free persons in the 15 slave states, 393,967 people (4.8%) held slaves, with the average number...
Quote: Originally Posted by JLibourel Most of us would regard "Civil War" as a fairly neutral term. It was widely referred to in the North as the "Great Rebellion" or the "War of the Rebellion." My understanding is that the specific wording of the term "War of the Rebellion" (the official name used by the Federal Government in the 1860s) was chosen because of a clause in the U. S. Constitution: "The privilege of the writ of habeas corpus...
Lighten up, guys... Mr. Bown could be a real-life P. G. Wodehouse character! Anyway, I find his website to be informative and humorous.
Quote: Originally Posted by comrade I'd say that you are incorrect. By the cut of the men's suits and the woman's outfit, it is late 30s or 1940s., maybe early post war - 1946, 47. If it's early post war, then its' likely that the men's suits are not current due to rationing. It was difficult to purchase a three piece suit during the War. Fabric was rationed. These are salesmen. It is unlikely that they could afford bespoke...
Not sure exactly what you mean by a British or Italian shirt. Many shirts are made in England of Italian fabric, and others are made in Italy of English shirtings. Perhaps others will want to amplify and correct, but these are features I think of if one were to distinguish an "English style shirt" from an "Italian style shirt." ENGLISH STYLE Broadcloth (poplin) is favored Fabrics have bold colors Blues and Pinks are staples. Lemon yellow, purple, lilac and reds are...
Quote: Originally Posted by mink31 Lol. "Glenn who?" The one Gould fan I've met turned out to be totally nuts, so that's no longer something I really focus on in relationships. I did take her to the symphony and she seemed to like it. It's weird; it really does feel like a "My Fair Lady" type of thing sometimes. Have you seen the Glenn Gould DVD "Hereafter"? They interview some of Gould's female fans--including the woman who travels from...
Quote: Originally Posted by mink31 So this girl I've been dating for a few weeks is really gorgeous, caring, sweet, etc. EXCEPT she comes from teh other side of the tracks (so to speak), and uses phrases such as... How does she feel about Glenn Gould?
The Zombies