or Connect

Posts by Twotone

I picked up a pair of JCP Stafford Logan wingtips in cognac for under $50. I take them on international business trips to places I don't want to ruin my nice AEs (e.g. Russia, China, etc.). Yes, they are cheap and made in China, but with decent leather. They take a good shine and look OK when wearing a suit. I've ruined too many nice shoes in these places over the years and learned that cheap shoes do have their place.
Only when your jacket does not have a pocket.
Buy one suit, get 9 free. Can it get any more boring than this?
A timely post as I just wore my glen plaid suit with a light rust over check today. I also like a blue over check glen plaid. Can glen plaid replace a solid or semi-solid grey suit -- no, it's not as versatile. Does it look great in a business environment -- generally, yes. If you are a London or NYC investment banker or lawyer -- no, unless it's casual Friday. Brits consider glen plaid to be a country, rather than a city suit fabric. I like mine, but make sure it suits...
This has been my standard carry on bag for years: http://www.ebags.com/product/a-saks/expandable-26-expandable-suitcase/86274?productid=1125194 It's smallest dimensions fit your carry on requirement and can be expanded to double it's width. It weights almost nothing, can hold a lot of stuff and is very well constructed. It's been on many domestic and international flights with no signs of wear. Being made of soft nylon, it fits in every airline's carry on bag size...
All of the above vintage/used watches are great suggestions. If you are also considering new watches, you may want to look at Tissot, Tutima, Baume et Mercier, Hamilton and Oris. All make nice automatic watches well within your price range.
Just curious if there are any interesting fathers' day sales coming up. I'm most interested in suits, shoes and ties. Thank you in advance!
made to measure by a local (not on-line) tailor
Back in the good old days (75+ years ago) shirts were separate from collars. If the collar was dirty, you just changed it. Of vice versa if the shirt was dirty. Now, it's difficult to find a laundry that know how to properly wash, starch and iron separate collars.
Has your tailor made suits for others? If so, I'd ask to see his/her work and talk to previous customers. There are a lot of very qualified MTM/bespoke tailors in NYC with lots of history and great reputations. No need to have a tailor learn how to make a suit with your money and fabric.