or Connect

Posts by Tiberias

I typically don't work out when I'm genuinely sick. The body is working plenty hard to combat the invaders (hence the symptoms), so it doesn't need extra strain. Don't stress over weight gain, sickness typically kills appetite and your body will be burning its reserves fighting the infection. And yes, other people at the gym don't appreciate Mr. Sick coughing all over the machines. The biggest caution is to make sure you get back into your routine once the sickness...
Quote: Originally Posted by TrojanGarb Here's what I did with some plain 501 STF, not LVC, but the method should be similar. 1. Run hot water in bathtub 2. Wear jeans in tub for ~30 minutes 3. Put in dryer for 30 minutes. Since it was winter and kinda cold I couldn't wear them till dryness 4. Out of dryer now lightly damp, put them on and break in the form again. Note much shrinkage 5. Took off and let air dry 6. "OMG I've created cardboard!" Find...
Quote: Originally Posted by mikej77 For suit alterations, I use Field's on Wisconsin. Expensive but his work is always top notch. Field's is generally considered to be the best in Washington. He is expensive, however; his suits are $2,500++, so alterations are going to be pricey. My recommendation would be to go there only if money is no object and/or you don't trust anybody but the best. I take my current alterations to Joe Sauro in...
Around 5% for me, though I don't have a reliable test. It's a genetic thing I suppose, I'm right on the line for underweight (I usually keep my coat and shoes on when they ask me to step on the scale at the Dr.'s office so the nurse doesn't put me down as underweight.) I've tried everything--donuts, whole milk, eating right before I go to bed, working a sedentary job, etc.--and nothing except exercise gets my weight up, and even then regular weight lifting gets it up...
I am in the proverbial "slim fit" category, and seem to have had reasonably good luck finding formal clothes that fit, due in large part to the recent trend toward slim fits now serving those of us who had been overlooked by the fashion industry lo these many years. The key difficulty for me right now is action wear: both workout clothes and outdoor clothes. I am wondering if there is a source for workout clothes that makes a long, slim fit. I'm not keen on stretch...
Hemmed? I used to buy my jeans in the longest length available in my waist size then just self-cuff the bottoms. Very old-fashioned look, I'll agree it's not for everyone, but an interesting vintage-y look with chunky shoes and a casual shirt.
Quote: Originally Posted by fcuknu I dont get why you wouldn't want to stand out in an interview. It separates you from the rest. You want them to notice you, not your clothes. I'm not against details like the pocket square as I just mentioned, but they should not draw attention to themselves. The outfit should be subtle, conservative, and coordinated; and some details like cuff links or pocket squares are fine, but they really have to...
I think a pocket square is fine, but it should be subtle. Not one of the ridiculous flounces of bright color bursting free from the pocket; those have their place, just not an interview. My recommendation would be white linen carefully folded with just a hint showing above the pocket. Completes the suit without drawing undue attention to itself.
Quick question: I picked up some heavily discounted cotton pants from Zara on a whim. But anyway, they're quite long; I'm typically a 32" inseam, they're a good 34". Should I get them hemmed, or just roll them up? They're very casual, dark green, relatively skinny legs. I was thinking about hemming them, but I've seen some styles recently with self-cuffs, and I like the look, but it's definitely not as common for cotton pants as for jeans.
Wow, that model looks a lot like me. That worries me. It seems the designers are using models who are way too thin; there are a few people out there like myself who are just naturally thin (I can eat Krispy Kreme three meals a day and not put on weight), but I worry that some of the young male models are starving themselves. And then there's the female model. I want to buy her the double cheeseburger from Five Guys. And a full order of fries. And insist that she...