or Connect

Posts by sonicvoodoo

Quote: Originally Posted by thekunk07 my friend sells to macy's and they are essentially extortionists from everything she says. they use their leverage not unlike anyone else in any other business. If vendors could survive without them they simply wouldn't sell them. They can't period
When I was in the bus, I used to deal with Gene Pressmen a lot. Gene is the grandson of Barney Pressmen and was as bad as or worse then any dept store. I realize that Barney's has since been sold but my guess is that they would be no different. and BTW, they have been trying to sell Barney's for quite some time but it's now worth just a fraction of what the current buyers paid for it......and, as a side note Neimans is also in big trouble With all due respect to Mauro...
there are many ways for vendors to disguise "markdown $$$"..sometimes it's just called markdown $$$ but sometimes vendors need to be creative and create euphemisms..like "advertising allowances"..or "pressing allowances" or "late delivery allowances"...it all boils down to $$$ to dept stores that subsidizes their sales and help them maintain respectable margins. also, manufacturers have excess production that they need to fill in order to keep their factories working so...
I've dealt with GMMS and VPs of every major dept store in the US. Most don't even exist anymore because they've been bought out and combined. Dept. stores have ALL the leverage and can dictate a vendors business, and, today, because of the diminishing number of chains, they even have more power. Fashion manufacturing is a very tough bus. Specialty stores simply can not carry the same lines as dept. stores. They just can't compete.
department stores buy off price/discounted goods up front to average out costs. Their margins on sale goods is not as bad as it seems.,,and if they get too low they return to the vendor and ask for "markdown $$$" Manufacturers (not small designers) NEED to sell dept.stores so they must make these off price goods available. it's a catch 22
Quote: Once again blamed on department stores with their HUGE fucking sales that go back to the designer and ask them for money so their margins can be whole. Small stores don't get that, they go out of business. department stores have always been the bane of existence for specialty shops and manufacturers alike. This is nothing new. In fact, it's the main reason I left the industry. I couldn't handle the increased leverage that dept stores had on...
many retail sales are subsidized by manufacturers selling off price goods. It's all part of the game that I have watched get progressively worse over the years. Sales are a mainstay in retailing and the consumer has been trained to wait for deep discounts. I don't know if this learned behavior can be undone. Also, don't forget that this is a 2 way street. Manufacturers have been hit hard by the economy and are offering deep discounts to retailers. This coming fall is...
Back in da day, designers and apparel companies in general, used factors (banks) to clear and extend credit to retailers. It was considered way to dangerous to "hold your own paper" and ship stores. Giving the factor a few points was a sound investment because you never had to worry about getting paid but it also limited who you sold to because not everyone could pass the factors credit check. I don't know what goes on today but I'm confident that more...
double post
Will it come back before I kick the bucket? I mean I already died once. Time is precious.