or Connect

Posts by cristobal

Hey--new career underway, and I've been told to be prepared to attend at least 6 black-tie functions annually. Already have a fabulous tuxedo, and a great pair of Gucci patent leather pumps. The last thing I want to do is put on a lousy pair of sheer nylon socks (you know, the kind of sock the cheap rental places give you) and mess up the ensemble. Anyone know where (online or in store) I can get quality over-the-calf sheer silk socks for formalwear? Can't go with nylon...
The shine stand at the Chicago Mercantile Exchange (Wacker & Monroe) is the best in the city. Lloyd does absolutely beautiful work. You'll need to get a visitor pass, but it's worth it.
I'm not much for extreme speed, but I did recently hit 190 km/h (near 120 mph) on the M3 on the way to Fuzesabony, Hungary. It's a beautiful new stretch of road, light traffic, cheap tolls.
I've got to take a little trip soon, and I need to take along a suit. I've loaned someone else my garment bag, and I'd like to find out if there's a halfway decent way to pack a suit without a garment bag. I imagine that keeping it in some sort of plastic bag helps, but beyond that... Help.
We've got a brilliant new intern at the firm: a straight-A student at Morehouse, great attitude, whip-smart, etc etc. He's also an attractive and well-groomed face for the clients (something my boss really gets hung up on). Trouble is, he dresses like an athlete at a draft show. Everything's in these really intense hues and colors, and everything's "coordinated." Today's color is lavender: lavender suit, sheer lavender socks (they look like nylon), lavender alligator belt,...
Quote: cristobal, for the life of me i just don't understand what that look is. gucci loafers with jeans is like dress pants with sandals to me. Yeah, the look's not for everyone. I've liked it since college. What I tend to do is pair up my oldest, most worn-out pairs of loafers with jeans. I tend to wear my newest pairs of Gucci loafers with trousers, they're then ready for jeans when they're a little more broken in and worn. As you say, to each his...
Quote: what type of shoes do you wear with these outfits? For me, it's almost always a pair of black Gucci loafers (leather sole, with nickel bit) or a pair of patent leather loafers (usually Tod's).
Quote: Does anyone else wear sock garters? Check out Paul Stuart. The store in Chicago sells them, at least they have in the past. They also sell decent over-the-calf silk hose, which are becoming something of a rare find these days. I started wearing silk socks a few years ago, now I can't wear anything else...
Thanks, guys. That's pretty much how I remembered it: boring. I suppose it was a bit naive of me to assume that things had changed for the better in the eight years that I've been away. There are certainly better places out there for a 20 hour layover...
I've got a night in Zurich on my way back from Budapest later this month. The odd itinerary couldn't be helped. Anyway, I haven't been to Zurich since high school, so I need some help on where to go, where to drink, where to stay, etc. Any ideas, or favorite spots? Thanks...